1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Downsizing an HX40 Hotside.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by throbbinV8, Jul 22, 2005.

1. throbbinV8

Yes I did a search.

OK, I'm running a Holset H1E/HX40 on my carbed 383SBC. Boost is around 11-12psi.

Due to the stroker crank I'm keeping the revs conservative at 5000 max. Boost starts at around 2800rpm and hits 11-12psi by 3000rpm.

However because I'm restricting my maximum revs I was wondering if I could run with a lower hotside AR without throttling the motor. Thus I could boost sooner without any downside.

So my question is;

Has anyone actually done, or do they know of any way to fit a lower AR hotside to an H1E/HX40? My current turbo has the standard 22cm housing. Has anyone encountered a smaller housing that is a straight forward bolt on?

Many thanks.

2. WaterPog

I know PDR sells 16 and 18cm housings for the HX-40 to use on the diesel trucks, you should try contacting them.

As for if it will choke you off, tough to say w/o trying it. Good news is that exhaust housings are relatively cheap.

3. braxton357

What he said. Check out the cummins/dodge websites, the hx40 is a common upgrade.

4. throbbinV8

Thanks for the info guys - I'll keep you posted if I get sorted.