1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1988 foxbody 302 single turbo 70mm

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ranmar956, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ranmar956

1F9191DF-F402-407C-A9D1-B0DE900FD07E.jpeg #ad
    So I’m new to this site and have been out of the racing scene for about 10 years I finally got around to buying me a project car it’s a 1988 mustang lx with factory 302 GT40 III bar heads, edelbrock performer intake, 70 mm throttle body and a factory t5

Plans for the build/goals....
    -Freshen up engine rings, bearings and arp long block
    -deck the block to make sure it straight not to raise compression
    -upgrade vavle springs maybe an off the shelf cam, was thinking of doing an f cam of tfs stage 1 ‍♂️
    -roller rocker
    -42 lb injectors or maybe 60 lb since I’ve been reading up on that and I’m leaning more towards 60s
    -homemade hot side 2.5 cross over BBK shorties seem to be a good set from what I’ve read
    -MP70 turbo 3.5 down pipe
    -e85 no intercooler!
    -factory T5 for now granny shifting till I can get a tremec
    -thinking of using mega oh micro squirt ‍♂️ What do y’all recommend? Car will not be a daily driver, it’ll be a weekend car I’m not looking to max out engine but if I do want it to make decent power.
    What do y’all think? Recommend? Waste gate sizing? BOV sizing? Thanks in advance! The car isn’t much to look at yet I’ll take car of Cosmetic things after engine is running good!

2. Mustang83

Sounds like your gonna have a fun street car. But that t5 ain’t gonna put up with that turbo for very long lol

3. 91turboterror

I run a Tial 38mm gate and a JGS 50mm bov. Gt40 and E7s like to spit out Headgaskets The deck surfaces aren’t thick enough. The blocks can break around 500hp. A smaller diameter crossover would be better 2-2.25”. If you have a good set of factory headers that could save some money and should give better clearance. 80s would leave you more than enough room for injectors on e85

4. blue-boost

X2 on a smaller crossover 2.25 will support enough volume/velocity to support 4 digit horsepower. And skip the smaller injectors. Go straight to a set of true seimens deka 80's. They tune like #19's and flow like.......#80's

MCA likes this.
  5. ranmar956

Lol yes I know that’s why plan to granny shift it till it breaks

6. ranmar956

I plan to ARP the entire long block hopefully that helps

MCA likes this.
  7. ranmar956

Do you know if those are compatible with E85 by any chance

8. ranmar956

Car currently has some after market shorties but I don’t really know what brand

9. blue-boost

Not sure if they are compatible or not. I'd personally skip the E85 just to keep it simple. E85 adds more expense to your fuel system just because of volume needs.

10. 91turboterror

Are the shorty headers unequal length? If they are you can repurpose them for turbo duty.

11. nxcoupe

Yes they are. I've tuned quite a few cars with them on E85. E85 is so much safer with boost. If you have to buy a fuel system anyway, going with E85 compatible stuff is no more expensive

12. blue-boost

Yea, the more I think about it your right. PTFE hose and fittings are marginally more expensive, but much easier to work with. My biggest hangup with my last e85 build was a fuel pump. Enough volume to support the power, and designed for continuous operation. Mine was a blow through carb. Loved everything about E85 though.

13. 91turboterror

A Walbro 450 should cover 600hp on e85 for ranmar’s car.

nxcoupe likes this.
  14. Mustang83

E85 makes a world of difference I’m sold on it.my son has a 92 coupe 302 stock block afr heads 70 mm turbo @ 9# with a blow thru setup carb built by Mark Sullens. And stick shift tko600 that lil sbf is quick

15. Mustang83

Blue boost when you were blowthru did you have any issues with a lil break up at top of the rpm? Jw

16. blue-boost

No problem breaking up anywhere in the rpm range. Once it was dialed in it was like driving an EFI car. I had a break up issue early on while trying to build boost, turned out to be a faulty wastegate.

What are your symptoms?

17. Mustang83

Car runs clean on low boost cruising but when ya get hard on it usually around 3rd gear (stick car)it will break up when it gets around 5 to 6 pounds but it’s still pulling hard. It’s my sons car I thought maybe a boost leak we haven’t found. But since you been there done that I figured I would ask

18. blue-boost

What wastegate?

19. Mustang83

Entry level on 3 wastegate that came with turbo setup I don’t know what size

20. nxcoupe

What's your plug gap?