1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE Twin Turbo build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Disney Lincoln, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Disney Lincoln

[​IMG]#ad

Figure i'll go ahead and start a thread to document this build. This isn't all from scratch though, so i'm kind of cheating. I originally built this DIY TT kit several years ago on a different car. That car, also a 1990 Mark VII went 16.8@82mph stock. I had less than $1K in the turbo kit and converter (Dacco 3000 non-lock), and still with the stock engine the car went 11.7@118. Pretty good bang for the buck!

Well, things change, college drained me, parts breaking, and life happened. I had pulled the engine and trans out of the original TT Lincoln to fix HG from WG line coming off (hit like 18#) and fix slipping trans. Car sat and sat while I collected parts to do a bad ass rebuild. New engine, building my own 4R70/AOD hybrid, tubular suspension bits, Cobra brakes, etc. etc. etc. Well... it sat long enough while collecting parts that the paint went to shit and mice got in there and chewed the wiring to shit. I ended up pulling as many good parts as I could off the car and scrapped the body.

While the turbo kit was off I had it coated to help with the under hood heat that was starting to melt some of my harness connectors. I also got a new engine for the set up.

I have a very nice (to me anyways) 1990 Mark VII LSC Special Edition that I had coveted since I first got into these cars many years ago. I bought it off of the guy that owned it and have been using it for car shows ever since. This last year I decided to use the car a bit more and get it ready to put the TT kit on. To this end I converted the front end over to SN95 stuff while still keeping the stock LCA and air ride. I installed Cobra brakes all the way around. I used Koni SA struts up from and Koni non-adjustable in the rear. Car already had a Turbocoupe front sway bar (1 5/16" vs 1 1/8"stock) and I installed an Addco rear bar. Car also have some HPM rear lowers that are much stronger than the stock arms. I had already bought some 17x11 03 Cobra rear wheels nad put some Nitto NT-05's on them and I bought some new OEM Corbas for the front and I just used NT555 on those. With all of this stuff on the car I took it out for an HPDE event. Car handles great considering it's weight. Was actually pretty quick on track being able to keep up with some S2000's and 350Z's. I was happy with it anyways....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

That HPDE revealed an issue though. After it was back in the garage I was sitting out there looking it over one day and noticed rust colored water had vented from the overflow. I popped the cap and the radiator looked terrible. So I did the only logical thing, I pulled the engine out. I figured I had this other engine already built and ready to go, might as well get this party started! New engine looks like this:

stock block 306
    Ross pistons
    Summit Stage II rods
    FMS Damper
    FMS F-303 cam
    TFS TW heads
    9333PT-1 gaskets
    ARP Studs
    Welded/ported Cobra lower
    Cobra upper
    Accufab 65mm TB
    Deka 60# inj.

[​IMG]#ad

The plan is to do work the the car in small stages so that the car is not down for a long time and remains running and driving. To this end, I installed the new engine in the car using the stock fuel rails for now. While I was doing that I installed the PTC Converter I had built for the turbo set up and the hardened input shaft. I am using Moates QH to tune it for now and went ahead and did a quick tune to get it running. Car feels great down low with that converter, but it feels very loose. I doubt it will work with the extra tq from the turbos. I have a feeling it will be coming back out for a re-stall.

First business to attend to is to move things out of the way of where the turbos sit. This is some wiring, battery, air suspension compressor.

So far i've relocated the air suspension compressor to the inner fender. Since the car was already converted to Mass air, the Cruise control was disabled so I removed it and placed the compressor in that spot. Cleans up the engine compartment nicely! I scored some extra stock connectors off of a car in the pull a a part so I didn't have to cut any of mine. I just made an extension harness using the factory plugs.

Next up was moving the battery. I sometimes get ahold of some good batteries that were replaced under warranty at work, plus I have several Lincolns that all use the same Ford size battery so I made the box to fit both sizes. Box is just some angle iron I already had laying around, some all thread, and some coupling nuts. I put an ABS plastic floor in it too since I had it laying around.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

When I was working on that I decided to mount the ignition box back there too. I used the same ABS plastic I put in the battery tray floor. First I marked and drilled it, then I installed some Rivnuts into the plastic. I fastened it to the interior panel using rivets. Then the box just bolted to the interior panel. Pretty slick I thought....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Need to mount the battery, run the cable, and sort out the power wiring under hood. Do I go from battery to start like I did on the last car? Batt to Solenoid? Alt. to Starter or noid?? Things I must decide....

Anyways, feel free to follow along as I spice up an otherwise dirt cheap DIY TT build!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Disney Lincoln

Oh yeah.... Since they were out I decided to check out the turbos. One of them was using oil when it was on the other car. Was embarrassing as hell. I got one quote to far to rebuild.... $325 EACH!!!! Let's see... Ebay T3/T4 = $125 each. Rebuild this one... $325? I might try it myself... Haven't decided yet. I "rebuilt" one myself when I first put it together and it did great. It's the one that I didn't touch that was smoking. We'll see.

[​IMG]#ad

3. Disney Lincoln

With the new engine I wanted to hear it a bit. The car had those huge Dynomax RV mufflers on it. It was super quiet. Little extra pipe was needed due to size difference.....

[​IMG]#ad

4. Disney Lincoln

The meats I put on it. Lucky for me the Mark VII shares the same frame rail structure as the Fox Mustang, but with a wider fender width. I can tuck 13" wide no sweat.

The fronts are just new 17x9 03 Cobra wheels. I like that they are the OE stuff, not knockoffs. The rears are knockoff though. They meassure 17x11 in the same style. Paint color matches very close between the two. The finish is definitely better on the OE wheels.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. PayUpSuka

This thing is gonna be sweet! I love Mark7's, awesome build!

6. jaredsamurai

7. stangman9897

About time man . Show us your shit. Thats not bad for the rebuild i had my left side one done here in town by M&D Diesel and with tax like $415.00 for the Garrett T3T4 60mm and what about balance after rebuild.

8. DeboDaddy

Absolutely LOVE that car. I've always had a hard on for MK7's and that is one of the nicest ones I've seen yet. Keep us updated!

9. madspeed

nice looking ride. Is the rear mounted battery track legal not being in a box?

10. racesloth

Nice ride man - I bet you can surprise some people with that car...

11. DeboDaddy

Here that's legal as long as there is a firewall of some sort between the driving compartment and the battery. That's exactly how i run mine...

12. Disney Lincoln

THe best part is racing crotch rockets. I'm sure most of you know this already, but those guys never beleive any car can out run them. So when a dead silent Lincoln smokes one, it makes it all that much sweeter. With my original TT Lincoln the only bike I ever let beat me was an R1. BUt it was damn close!!!

13. Disney Lincoln

Exactly. Plus, they never think it's fast enough to get into trouble anyways. And they are usually right... :(

14. mustang-junky

Beautiful car! Subscribing.

Jess

15. Xavier1320SVT

Good read, what a trip of a car would never have evverrrrr guessed it

16. Zack

What an awesome car!
    Where can I get that battery tray????

17. madspeed

Makes sense, I guess Im just used to Hatchbacks! :rolleyes:

18. Disney Lincoln

Thanks!!!

The battery tray is just something i whipped up. I've made several of them now for different cars. Doesn't take long to make or cost a lot to make it, it's just angle iron for the most part. I'd guess I have..... Maybe $10 in it? I can make you one!

19. stangman9897

My brother is a Lincoln freak and he asked me what is Lincoln going to do for motors and drive train now that they split from Ford. I told him im sure they will use Ford just like always unless Ford told them to eat shit and die. Your in the business have you heard whats going on with all of this.

20. Disney Lincoln

They should just put me in charge of that.