1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.9 magnum exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by sam51, Apr 4, 2018.

1. sam51

Hi, does anyone happen to know if there are turbo manifolds for the 5.9 magnum. I have seen the headers on ebay but they are to long and will cause interference when the turbos are installed, so i'd like something on the smaller side to mount the turbos to, any help is appreciated.

2. Forcefed86

Use the factory manifolds.

3. subcommopar

Factory magnum manifolds or the dakota shorty headers that are bolt in replacements for the factory manifolds. That's what I use on my single setup.

4. sam51

Thanks for the replys, i think i have the headers figured out, now i'm trying to figure out the hot side, anyone have any suggestions on piping size to the turbo from the header? this is an all stock 5.9 its max red line is 5500 rpm. i was thinking 2.5 inch exhaust system to the mufflers and reuse the 2.25 tailpipes. here are the turbo specs:

• .57 compressor wheel trim mapped for low & high boost setups
    • Oil fitting gaskets & mounting studs included
    • Capable of producing over 450 horsepower
    • wet float bearings & properly balanced
    • 3" inlet diameter with a 2" outlet
    • .50 A/R compressor housing
    • .63 A/R turbine housing
    • 1/8 NPT oil inlet
    • T3/T4 hybrid

5. 440mark

Hope you are using two of those.I used demolition headers cut down.Puts the turbos next to the valve covers.

6. 91turboterror

2" crossover would be best

7. sam51

I picked up a set of shorty headers from a friend, so those are going to go on flipped forward. I'm trying to find preformed 2 inch pipes to feed the turbo, I was going to use a merge at the turbo flange instead of a Y pipe, and I also found a spacer for a T4 flange that has a waste gate port built in so I was going to try that out as well. I just received the Safe Guard for my timing control and will be installing that soon, now I need to start looking for the turbo itself, I was going to use a GT45 but I think I may want to go with a Borg Warner instead.

8. sam51

quick update, safe guard is installed and working, i ordered the turbo, On 3 78/75 is what i ended up going with. headers are just painted with the super hight temp paint in silver and will be going on after i get the turbo mounted, now the real work begins.

9. Traction Issuez

Great choice for turbo. Good luck with the fuel/spark control though, that mopar computer is just horrid.

10. sam51

Currently I have a MOPAR PCM, I plan on an FMU and the safe guard will control the timing. I already have a vac reference FPR, I think that should also run off boost but I'm not positive yet.

11. subcommopar

Agreed on the 78/75. I'm running the GT45 but am tempted to try that On3. Can't wait to see your results.

12. sam51

I was all over the place trying to figure out which turbo to go with, i liked the GT45 but after talking to a couple local guys that have run turbos for years now, they said to look into the 78/75 , so after picking their brains for a few i pulled the trigger on the 78/75 instead of the GT45 i was going to originally run. Because this is a street car and may see some track time possibly i wanted to make sure i got something that can grow with the car, they seemed to think that the 78/75 was the best option for what i am doing.

13. Traction Issuez

Hold off on any other tuning devices. Search your area for a tuner. If you can find a power level you like then you should be able to set the boost at one value and then just set the computer to fuel and spark for that one setting. But trying to get that mopar computer and other ancillary systems to be flexible with boost settings will be a challenge.
    You’ve got a magnum and mopar computer, I would strongly recommend a junkyard ls and factory computer or a megasquirt computer before it’s too late

14. sam51

I'm not going the LS route with this car, its all MOPAR and going to stay that way, there are way to many LS powered 50s cars as is and I always get compliments on keeping it all MOPAR. I'm looking to be around 500 whp with 10psi of boost. There are no tuners in my area or in any near by areas that i know of, its a couple hour drive to the nearest one i know of.

15. Traction Issuez

16. sam51

I did think about the FI Tech but I have a computer controlled trans, so until I can get a manual VB for the trans or a different trans all together I'm stuck with the factory stuff. I'm not sure how the 518 will hold up so a new trans is probably in my future.

17. Traction Issuez

Investigate a little bit, I would imagine the computer can be pared down to just control the computer. Or you can do like I did in my diesel and use the pressure port on the side of the transmission to trip a couple pressure switches, one for overdrive and one for the converter. Those dodge trannies generally are all hydraulic for 1-3 and then overdrive is a simple ground signal from the computer.

18. 91turboterror

How about an a833 hemi 4speed since your willing to use a manual vb and wanna stay mopar plus you'd get to exercise your left leg with a clutch pedal.
    They are pretty tough And I see it first hand how they can take the punishment of a 750 hp 392hemi in a 3800lb car

MidmoJoe likes this.
  19. sam51

thats a possibility, i was thinking about going to a 6 speed, but like everything else, time and money.

20. Mnlx

This^^ The od, and lockup can be actuated with a switch (or switches), and latching relay.