1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.9 magnum exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by sam51, Apr 4, 2018.

1. fastspec2

For your application it aint gonna matter. Technically you want the widest delta T to be last but again not sure your gonna notice a single bit of difference. Especially considering with any location you are still using the same temp cooling media (ambient air) for cooling the inlet charge. A solid argument could be made for putting the IC as close to the TB as possible I think, but again, not gonna really matter. At least my opinion.

Now start adding ice or drastically changing the cooling media in some way and it absolutely benefits you to put it closer to the TB.

2. sam51

I was thinking that it should go closer to the turbo, that way the charge temp gets cooled and then has a about 12 feet or so to loose some heat in the tube before the throttle body. I would totally agree with as close to TB if using an ice box. I can't seem to find any info for this so I may just flip a coin and see how it turns out.

3. Mnlx

I'd put it where it fits best, the temp drop will be negligible imo.

4. sam51

Started the car up for the first since wrapping the exhaust pipes, I forgot how much that stuff stinks.

5. 91turboterror

I freaked Arab Fuel Dispensory Technician out at a gas station down the street from me after the first run of my turbo mustang it smoked like a chimney out the hood I painted the hotside since it got scratched up and plus the exhaust wrap he must of thought it was on fire lmao. I was thinking about running out of the car and jumping for cover just to see what he would do lol

6. sam51

mine didn't smoke but it smelled really bad, I just let it idle since the car is on jack stands at the moment. I used wrap from ebay that came with my exhaust housing sheild then I finished up with the DEI wrap I had to get because I ran short, and sprayed everything with their silicone spray, I'll be changing the ebay wrap in the future to DEI but for now the cheap stuff should serve its purpose.

7. sam51

I got some of the cold side run today, but realized I missed a few couplers so I'm now at a stand still until those arrive. I got alot of small stuff done like all the heat shielding and turbo exhaust housing heat shield installed. I isolated the MAP from boost also so I'm hoping that I'll have everything going in the next week or two.

8. 91turboterror

Pr
    Cool !It’ll be ready soon then.

9. sam51

Its getting there, I just need a few more couplers and I should have it done, it'll be non inter cooled for a little while but I figure with the long run of pipe and only 6-7 psi it should be ok for a little while. I'll be adding an air to water inter cooler when funds allow.

10. sam51

Here are a couple pics.
    IMG_1179.JPG #ad
    IMG_1180.JPG #ad
    IMG_1181.JPG #ad
    IMG_1182.JPG #ad

11. sam51

I made a bit of progress on the cold side this week, I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the piping. I just ordered the water to air inter cooler and now I get to wait for parts to be delivered.

12. sam51

B39D56A1-3AA2-4BF5-8092-CA7EAEDFE900.jpeg #ad

Here’s a pic of the engine bay, I’m 99% done with install.

subcommopar and Disney Lincoln like this.
  13. sam51

I got the car running today, took it out and made a whopping 3psi at WOT in 3rd gear. AFR was 12 to1 so the FMU is doing its job. Now I have to figure out why I'm only getting 3 psi, the waste gate has a 7psi springs, I think my air filter may be to small and causing a restriction so thats where I'll start, then I'll pressure test the charge side to see what happens if the air filter isn't the issue, and I'll disconnect the line from the turbo to waste gate to make sure its not the issue, any other ideas of what I need to look for?

Edit: tried without the air filter and same result so on to the next step, tommorow I'll try to disconnect the waste gate from the turbo and see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  14. B E N

Don't do this, nothing good can come from it. Just test the gate with tape, its a go/no go thing. If it's opening try the next larger spring. Check for intake and exhaust leaks, leaks at the gate seal.

15. sam51

I looked at the exhaust there doesn't seem to be any leaks so I'll test the gate today and see what happens. I have an pressure tester ordered to test the charge side but it'll be a few days before i get it.

16. sam51

tested the gate out and it seems to be sealed tight, I taped off the outlet, started the car let it idle for a few the gave it a few good revs and there isn't anything on the tape as far a markings and it didn't budge from where i put it. I did bench test the spring pressure with my compressor and it didn't open until 20 psi of line pressure, this is with a single yellow spring which i thought was about 5-6 psi, so i think my line gauge is wrong. so now I'll have to pressure test my charge pipes and see if i have any leaks there.
    Edit: after some more investigating it looks like the spring may be the problem, there is no yellow spring only setting listed in the spring chart, thats what i get for buying used equipment. now I'll need to get a blue spring to replace the yellow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  17. sam51

got the new spring and installed it, I'll test it out later this week and see what happens, I also received my charge side pressure tester so I can do that as well this week. Hopefully everything will be good to go and I'll be finished up with this project and on to the next.

18. sam51

I tested the car today, had more boost but i blew off a coupler so I definitely need to pressure test the cold side.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  19. tbird

do you have beads on the tubing at your couplers?
    If not, you will continue to blow them off.

20. sam51

I found a clamp that was not tightened down, I went through the system and snugged everything to get it set in place then went back and tightened everything up and missed the clamp where the coupler blew off.