1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.9 magnum exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by sam51, Apr 4, 2018.

1. sam51

Yesterday I got the cold side pressure tested, there were quite a few leaks, the compressor housing had a few, the carb hat wasn't set perfectly on the o ring so that leaked, then the throttle body had a leak so that was tightened down, then my TPS had a big leak so that was replaced and everything seems good to go now, not one of the couplers had an issue which was surprising since thats where I thought the leaks would be for sure. Hopefully I'll get to test it out today or tomorrow and see how everything runs now that the leaks are gone.

2. tbird

To be honest, those are standard leaks. Ive had a 1/2 power brake line blow off cuz it wasnt clamped. Ive smoke tested a hat with and without a gasket. Leaked smoke without a gasket. Didnt change the boost in these situation.
    The air mass moved compared to the leaks is nothing.

All im saying, dont chase all these leaks. You will loose your mind.

subcommopar, Mnlx and Disney Lincoln like this.
  3. sam51

Thanks for the advice, I got them sealed up, I'm sure there are some smaller ones that I may have missed but like you said I don't think those will affect the boost to much, I'm going to try to test it out this weekend and see what happens.

tbird likes this.
  4. sam51

I took the car out today to test it, it came to 3.5-4 lbs of boost on the 5lb spring, so thats about right where it should be I think, since I have a long cold side. AFR is 11.75-12 to 1 so that seems about right also. I also started putting the rear seat area back together and started getting some stereo components laid out in the trunk, buts its 107 here today and hotter in the garage I think so I'm done for the day. I'll probably try to get everything wrapped up over the weekend so I can move on to other things like the air to water inter cooler lines and tank, also I'm thinking about adding a boost controller to get the boost up to that 5psi the spring is rated at.

5. sam51

I finally got everything put together, built a center console and got it installed but have nowhere to take the car, all the COVID stuff seems to have cancelled everything, plus its going to be like 120 degrees this weekend and I have no ac in the car and will not be doing anything with it until it cools off now, I will be picking up a new truck though. I found a 2500HD, turbo charged of course, and am hopefully going to pick it up this weekend if everything works out right.

subcommopar likes this.
  6. sam51

Picked up the new truck, I really like it alot, its a gmc 2500hd, now I need to convince the wife to let me put a turbo on her Pathfinder for the trifecta.

7. 91turboterror

Sell the pathfinder Get her the new bronco lol 2.7 twin turbo

B E N likes this.
  8. B E N

:dito:

9. sam51

She likes her pathfinder, I'm not going to have any sway in getting her to sell it, and she won't let me do anything to it, I even tried to get her the pedal commander and she says NO.

10. sam51

I finally got a chance to take the car out and put the hammer down a bit, my wife wanted to sbee what all the money that was spent did. She seemed pretty happy, especially when the BOV let off the pressure when I stopped, she had a big ol smile and said the car seems alot more fun now, over all I'm pretty happy with the way this project turned out but I'll probably look into a better turbo for remote mounting, the current turbo was never planned for remote mount so it spools slower than I want it to. Surprisingly 5 psi makes a good amount more power than NA, I can't wait to see what the intended 12 psi will do, but first the trans needs some attention.

11. 91turboterror

Good to hear you had success and your wife likes it too. Now you might be able to change her mind now

12. sam51

I'm not that lucky, but I'll probably try anyway.

13. sam51

Now that I have everything running I need to finish off the inter cooler, I'm using an air to water setup but I can't seem to find any concrete info on how much water to have in the system, I was thinking about a 2 gallon tank for the system, any thoughts? I'm currently only at 5 psi so the cooler isn't an issue yet but eventually I plan on 10-12 psi after fixing the weak intake belly pan that the Magnum motor is famous for, so I don't blow it out while driving.

14. Mnlx

A 5 gallon tank is pretty common, but all depends on your setup. If running a heat exchanger I'm sure you could get by with less. If no exchanger, more is better.

15. sam51

I have a heat ex changer with an electric fan, it'll go up front and the return tank in the trunk, just not to sure of the size tank.

16. sam51

Well, blew the trans 2 weeks ago and now getting it rebuilt and beefed up a bit more for the power, also got a nice billet torque converter being made, this new setup should last me a while. Figured there was a problem when I couldn't get the car to reverse hardly at all, but now I'm out a couple grand I wasn't planning on spending and the wife is unhappy.

17. sam51

Thought I'd throw up a quick update, trans is still being built so car is still down, but I did find an unobtanium intake manifold and purchased it, its a Mopar Performance single plane mpfi manifold for the 5.9, which are very hard to come by, and since I've been looking for something to upgrade my intake I've found its very difficult to find any intake manifolds right now, so that was lucky to come across this M1 intake, now I need to o buy a lotto ticket.

18. sam51

Just received this, Mopar M1 MPFI intake, very hard to find but worth it.

QQKO3177.JPG #ad

QQKO3177.JPG #ad

19. sam51

I just heard from the trans guy, good news is the trans is done and should take all the abuse I can throw at it, bad news is he started the car to test drive it and its running like crap, rough idle and popping in the exhaust. I go down there and take a look at it start it up and sure enough rough idle and popping in the exhaust, so I look at the AFR guage and its lean, then I look at boost/vac guage and its at 0 while idleing. Now I need to get an OBD1 ssanner so I can see whats going on with the sensors and figure out if I have the worlds biggest vac leak or something else, and I was looking forward to being able to drive my car again, but thats shelved now.

20. sam51

Found the problem, all the injector o rings are shot and leaking vacuum, so those are getting replaced, while I'm at it there is a new cam and timing set going in along with a hardened intermediate shaft. should be a little better off with the new cam and intake manifold, we're thinking about 500 hp with 5lbs of boost.

Disney Lincoln likes this.