1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

63 Studebaker Lark Turbo 4.8?

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by casey86cuda, May 26, 2014.

1. casey86cuda

Ok I make this short I have stock 289 car ran when the engine was pulled dont know condition.To put 2 turbos change trans and rearend the build is starting to add up I know its going to cost money but Im on budget.I have been researching 4.8 Vortec junkyard 4.8 turbo setups.What do ya'll think would be the cheapest way to go just so I can get the car on the road and have some fun.Im looking for around 400 Hp.

2. DeboDaddy

If you are just wanting 400ish horses, I'd go with an NA 6.0L over a boosted 4.8L. You could easily make 400fwhp on a LQ4 or LQ9 with just a cam. And I can assure you it would be cheaper and easier.

3. casey86cuda

Thanks Debo For your advice just came across 5.3 with tran complete components and wiring harness with ecm 76 thousand miles for 1300.00 harder to find a 6.0 I have one in my 02 heavy half ton and it will get up and move cant imagine what it would do in the stude.If you dont mind I havent gotten many responses is it their just not interested in the build which I totally understand but I fell in love with it want to do something different thanks again for your advice .Shawn

4. DeboDaddy

Well if you are set on doing a turbo that's a different story! It may not be the best choice for your goals but I can respect that. on a 4.8 or 5.3, a single turbo would be by far the most cost efficient. A single GT45 fits those engines perfectly. You can search on here and find all kinds of info on that setup. With your power goals, you could grab a stock 4.8/5.3 and throw on one of those and make 400+rwhp on probably 8psi. Even with the stock cam and everything.

If you are set on twins, I went with two cheap ebay 54mm T3's. They are cheap and well-sized to the 5.3, but I can't vouch for the quality and durability of them because I havent had mine running yet. But I only did twins because I didn't really have room for a big single. I wish I had a single.