1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

65 Falcon to 62 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Briansshop, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Briansshop

Today,ran the line for the exhaust back pressure sensor - so much easier to say EMAP! Copper form the turbine housing to the EMAP canister and then about 2' of ss braid up to the sensor.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. KEVINS

I monitor the pressure pre-turbo too. I have an extra sensor and thinking about tapping it into the custom muffler I made to see how much pressure is in the exhaust post-turbo..

ks

3. Russell

I like your plan! Do you think you will take it to the dyno before the track?

I was thinking calendar goals. It looks like most of the big stuff is done but I also know the little things can take a long time.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  4. TurboSnake281

Why do you do this?

5. KEVINS

Measure the pressure pre-turbo?
    To see if the turbo exhaust side is too small and not allowing enough of the exhaust out. From this value the Pressure Ratio can be calculated and if it's too high then changes can be made to make it more efficient if desired.

Measure the pressure Post-turbo?
    To measure how much of a restriction the mufflers/piping are and to plot it out to see if there is a point that it could cause issues by being too restrictive.

ks

6. Russell

Why measure at the muffler and not closer to the turbo outlet?

7. Briansshop

No plans to hit the dyno. I might at some point, but at first the tuning will be on the street/track.

Everything is just about 100% with just the Holley wiring left to do. I have all the stuff/harnesses,so I'll be getting on that soon. Fire it up sometime between now and spring. If/when they salt the roads around here, that'll slow me down since it won't come out until they're clean.

62CometTurbo and Russell like this.
  8. KEVINS

I run three mufflers and this one muffler I built myself. It merges the two pipes from the turbos together but then splits them back out again so I want to measure the pressure downstream within this "merge" muffler.

ks

9. TurboSnake281

Thank you for the explanation!
    “When every bit counts”

10. Briansshop

Wiring is going much faster than I thought. The J2A,B and J3,4 harnesses are done and the J1A,B main harness only needs a few ends terminated and it's done.

From this:
    [​IMG]#ad

To this!:
    [​IMG]#ad

Injector harness:
    [​IMG]#ad

11. Briansshop

Powered up the Dominator,and after some firmware update drama, all good. Sensor data all what it should be. BUT, the ProDash took a shit and started blowing the power fuse to it. A brick,it's otw back to Holley for a warranty claim. Hopefully they'll be sending me another.

12. Briansshop

Received a new ProDash from Holley yesterday. Not a bad thing to say about dealing with them.

Got the motor fired up today and did 2 heat cycles,run for 20 mins at 2k RPMs. Did an oil filter check,cut open and inspect after the first one. Went great overall,fired up and ran with no issues,got it to idle at 900 RPMs nicely.

13. Pro-SC

That’s great Brian! You must be a happy camper :2thumbs::2thumbs:

62CometTurbo and Briansshop like this.
  14. Briansshop

Thanks! Yesterday was huge!

15. 62CometTurbo

Looks and sounds sick!

Briansshop likes this.
  16. Briansshop

Went up to PA last weekend a bought a trailer. I was back and forth on open/enclosed,figured I'd be better off with the enclosed. Didn't want any bigger than just enough for the Fairlane,so went with a 20 footer. Really happy with. Plan is making it up to Fords at Carlisle at the end of May to hang out.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

62CometTurbo, silver82GT and B E N like this.
  17. Pro-SC

The trailer looks nice!
    I have always wanted to go to Carlisle, used to buy stuff from a reseller there, sure a lot of nice parts for sale.

18. 62CometTurbo

Does the 20 ft leave enough room for a small tool box and some spares? I'm looking for the same thing. Just sold my 14' open and bought an 05 Cummins to pull stuff with.

19. Briansshop

I haven't put the the car in it yet,LOL. But after some measurements, the Fairlane will eat up 17ft,so a little room up front.

I had a 20ft with my Mustang and liked it.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  20. 62CometTurbo

After I posted I thought about that haha. Our cars are pretty close in size. I've thought about a 24 instead but not sure I need it.