1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

And I'm back

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by blue-boost, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Mnlx

Valve springs, and possibly a cam, and call it good.

2. blue-boost

There's the can of worms, lol. I know the cam holds huge power gains but I'm trying to keep myself from screwing with things unless completely necessary. Put in a cam, might as well do an oil pump, timing set, ect. Maybe a low lift cam, something mild.

20112011Cummins likes this.
  3. 20112011Cummins

I have a gen 3 truck intake you can have for the cost of shipping... but even that would probably be more expensive than finding another one locally. Shoot me a PM if needed.

I can't help with an LS style intake.

And my vote is cam, springs, and nothing else. For a mild cam it would be nice to find a takeout LS2 or something but they are oddly pricey. Sloppy best cam (import @$199) would be my pick.

4. Mnlx

An Elgin sloppy stage 1 or 2, springs, and be done. I get it though, it's tough to leave everything else alone. Typically no need to do anything else if it's a budget build.

5. blue-boost

I'm kinda eyeballing the TSP low lift cam. 212/218 550/550 112° might be easier on drivetrain components?

6. vht

I'd do a Summit cam kit, gap the rings and go from there.

7. Mnlx

I personally wouldn't worry about the .025 in lift. The Elgin cams have a pretty mild lobe profile, and can save you $75-100 over the TSP. Just my two cents.

8. blue-boost

Well I ordered a cam and associated parts to swap it out. It's a little more mild than the sloppy stage 2 but not by much. I really just don't want a real lopey cam in this car, I almost had my mind made up to run a stock cam, but I'll make my horsepower goal with less effort with a better cam.

9. blue-boost

Probably not the best choice out there but I got this intake second hand from a friend. I want an LS6 but not for what people are asking for them, I'll find one for the right price eventually, then swap it out.
    IMG953195.jpg #ad

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  10. Mnlx

You have plenty of engine bay height, why not a truck intake? You can actually buy the TBSS/NNBS intakes pretty reasonable, and they're a better street intake than the ls6, and so much better than the short runner fabricated intake.

11. blue-boost

This intake was free. When I come across a more well suited choice, I'll switch it out. I'm sure I'll come across a free truck intake or something while scrounging the parts yards.

12. Mnlx

That makes sense. Free is good!

13. blue-boost

Unless it's a cat, nothing more expensive than a free cat.

My last few builds were such, that every part was purchased specifically for that build, I wouldn't even consider free parts if they weren't the optimal piece.

This build, not so much, name of the game is to get a car on the road with a turbo LS as cheaply and reliability as possible.

Russell likes this.
  14. vht

The TBSS intake was like $139 or $149 on Amazon, you could sell that free intake for most of the cost I'd say. Timing chain set is cheap for the stock type chain. I'd use the oil pump that's in it and shim the spring slightly. There is U tube videos of modifying the stock pump and it wouldn't cost you anything. You'll be happy you changed the cam after it's running.

15. blue-boost

The 5.3 has been finished for a while now. Did a cam, Elgin lifters, new trays, gm head gaskets, new valve springs, Jegs head bolts, new iwis timing chain, new oil pump, oil barbell, 302-2 oil pan, and fresh seals throughout.
    20230120_152435.jpg #ad

B E N likes this.
  16. blue-boost

My TH400 had a small crack around a bellhousing bolt hole, so I picked the now bare case to address that. Once I get the case done the transmission can be finished. My builder is doing all new bushings, seals, clutches, and some other mods to keep it alive under moderate power.

17. blue-boost

Also refinished the wheel centers.
    20230205_170636.jpg #ad
    20230203_203306.jpg #ad

Briansshop and 91turboterror like this.
  18. 20112011Cummins

Looking good. The changes to the wheels made a big difference!

19. blue-boost

See, I knew if I waited long enough I'd find a better intake. I traded the sheetmetal intake straight up for this "LS1" intake. I'm happy with what showed up. Lol.
    20230312_201652.jpg #ad
    20230312_201709.jpg #ad

20112011Cummins and B E N like this.
  20. blue-boost

I picked up some nice C10 trailing arms for free from a buddy, these with som coilovers should make for a nice ride. I mocked up a crossmember and tacked it into the car, once I know it will work in conjunction with everything else, I'll remove it and box it all in. 20231112_123859.jpg #ad
    20231105_181525.jpg #ad

B E N likes this.