1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

are the ON3 kits really THAT bad??

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by BYEBYE2U, Feb 24, 2013.

1. BYEBYE2U

Hey guys,are the ON3 kits really that bad?? I just traded a NOS setup and some cash for a slightly used kit for a foxbody mustang.i was looking on here and read some negitive stuff about it and this is the 2nd generation kit.most of the time though on reviews all you see posted up are the negitives but never hardly see the positives posted up on things so i'm trying to stay positive about my purchace.I was just curious if these kits are as bad as i've read? i've got it now so i guess i'll see after I install it LOL! and work the bugs out as i find them.thanks

2. MyLittlePwny

I have an on3 ff kit on my car, but it's a modular car. I have no complaints.

3. BYEBYE2U

good to hear...thanks!

4. stangman9897

LOL My LMP always first on that question. Do a search for it. :popcorn:

5. stangman9897

MLP sorry can't edit.

6. MyLittlePwny

/shrug he asked for people with personal positive experience, I meet the requirements.

7. 10secgoal

Good and bad. Don't expect it to be perfect. Cheap parts, warped flanges, etc. but if you're willing to cuss at it enough you could be happy. Just depends. Some are pissed and some are willing to put up with it. Some say they have no problems, others trade the kit for nitrous ;)

8. racesloth

So basically it is a crap shoot - how lucky do you feel? Are your dice loaded? Don't expect warranty support. Just sayin...

9. BoostedBadBoy

Yeah, I've always seen mixed reviews and Dustin said it best with the real world experiences with it. I've put two of these kits on, one was decent enough, and went on few lil headaches, and the other was fucking horrible not even ballpark. I guess my question is, if it was good. Why did the guy take it off of his car and sold it? Make sure you have a tubular K member in order for this kit to work properly or it won't fit. After I got on Chads ass *owner of On3* he finally put it in Ebay what k member they used, but fair warning this is when I had the nightmare with his kit, my guy bought the proper K member supposedly used in the mock up and it was still off. I ended up having to make the headers myself and we sent those pieces of shit back to Chad... didn't give him the choice. lol They sent back another pair few months later, and these ones were off to. So I fixed them and we just sold them. So its hit and miss, it being a second gen kit will probably be fine, but the parts if they are On3 shit may fail, its hit and miss, turbo's, flex joints, and his fake injectors etc seem to be the problems mostly heard about with those kits, not so much fittiment issues anymore. So my guess would be is your kit is probably going to work just fine, but if you start running into issues, let us know and we'll do our best to help you get it fixed. Welcome to the boosted world.

10. gotageta5oh

It really is a crap shoot. Helped install one and it was a complete PITA. Ended up modifying it after On3 gave my buddy the run around.

11. reved up

Yawn.... These threads are getting old....

12. flash

And yet you felt the need to click on the link and make a reply.

13. gotageta5oh

This type of thread is what this section is for.

14. reved up

There is about 10 other threads just like this one with plenty of information in them lol..... Kinda what I was referring to.....

15. BoostedBadBoy

Noobs when they come here, generally don't search first, its new exciting, so instead of using the search function they generally ask the questions they want the answers too. Which isn't bad, but yeah its been talked about in many other threads but now instead its just one more... which helps spread the info. And in his case, might be different from the other threads because he has a newer gen system thats been revised a bit. And in this case its not so much the fitting issues we see with them anymore as said its the kit makers parts that seem to fail now.

To the OP, ByeBye.... post up some pics of what you have and lets see what you got with that kit and what your working with. I think you'll honestly be fine, most are, but if you happen to run into problems we'll just have to figure them out. Selling a kit off because of brand or where its made I believe is stupid. If it works, it works, if it needs to be made to work, ok whats the pro's and con's.... if the cons outweigh the pro's then yes sell it off and restart if you have to sink more money into it then what a better kit would cost and proven to work then it is what it is. But we have seen plenty of On3's stuff work, as well as fail. But the failure's we are seeing now are much different from the ones than when the company started offering its kits. So I mean we have to address these threads accordingly and not just lump them all into well we all hate Chad and why stuff. Hell, he might be fine, has On3 Hotside and pieced together with Turbonics/Precision turbo, turbo smart WG and BOV, etc we don't know. It could be complete On3 and his kit is perfectly fine and will bolt right up, it should be that way, and it does happen from time to time. But this is why Chad has such a bad name not only because he is a liar and has horrible customer service when you let them know the problem, but because of his piss poor averages of performance issues of kit/part failures.

16. BYEBYE2U

first off to EVERYONE thanks for the replies,2nd i DID search before posting this thread and thats why i ask.. I read a few reviews and seen bad weighs as much as good from some folks and just wanted to ask if the kit was as bad or as decent as some say. someone ask above "why he took this off and traded it?" well he bought a 347 that makes as much power N/A as his lil 302 would've with the turbo installed and he bought that to use. he posted this kit forsale and i just happened to have an uninstalled Nitrous kit I was looking to get rid of,i've delt with the guy before so we talked and done the deal.actually i think the $600+ tune required with the turbo was scary for him as well.he wasn't JUST wanting to take the turbo off and trade me I offered a deal and we agreed to help us both out.this kit doesn't have the inj's Chad offers with the kit these are Ford inj's. people on here also said the EBAY boost brother kits were junk to but I know of a few of those that are holding up awsome without problems.anyway ,I was just wondering about the kit and i've got it and now i'm gonna use it and however it ends up then thats just the way it is.and to who ever said a aftermarket Kmember need to be used? where did you get that info?? this kit come off a STOCK K memeber car and I know of 3 more thats installed with a stock K memeber without any major trouble with installation at all.

17. BoostedBadBoy

I'm the one that told you about the tubular K member and the info came directly from CHAD OWNER OF ON3 PERFORMANCE AND STATED DIRECTLY on ebay and their website. And the 2 kits I put on both needed the tubular K member and did not fit stock as stated called Chad and he confirmed it. And like I said above YOU HAVE A REVISED KIT, so many of the early threads probably don't apply to you in many senses.
    And to me the guy sounds like he bought a stock blocked based 347 thats already at its power limits and traded off a turbo kit for Nitrous? I don't know maybe he's not a engine builder? Something like Nitrous a bit more destructive and harsh on internals? Doesn't sound like the brightest move but hey to each their own.... you made out on the deal, because unless you had a Wilson kit no Nitrous is the cost of turbo. But you have probably another 1 grand more in tuning and upgrades possibly depending on power output goal and intention of use. Plus depending on what you already have done to the car might be less... but have an over kill fuel supply.
    And word to the wise, senior members here offer advice strictly for your benefit. You don't have to any way shape or form use the info given to you, but its not our money wasted or stuff that gets trashed if you don't, and we've already been through and tested mostly what people ask about and offer real world experience on things vs opinion that most of the net pushes as fact. Like example, you told me this kit came off a stock member Foxbody... ok, I've put two of On3 kits on and couldn't use it, you have yet to put 1 kit on. If his worked with stock stuff great, you may luck out. But there simply wasn't enough room when I put the kits I did on and needed it open more and sure as hell I found out why. But before you think all is fine and dandy you better find out more about how that fit and why. Was he using drop mounts? Is it a motor mount plate? Is it a different urethane mount some are thicker than others etc. All the stuff comes into play because a 1/4" can mean the difference of fitting and not with metal.
    So as far as if this kit is fitting stock K membered cars now, cool. That wasn't the case when On3 was first released. And yeah, a kit may hold up, but it doesn't make it quality. I can slap a junkyard ride together and make it run 9's all day long but it doesn't mean its going to last or not have problems. But here's the deal, speed costs period.

Fast.... Cheap...... Reliable.... pick two...... Fast and Cheap it won't be reliable..... Cheap and Reliable... it won't be fast.... Fast and Reliable, it won't be cheap..... Words of wisdom my friend.

And Boost Brothers from what I understand went out of business? Now from what I understand they sold their kits cheap? So why are they out of business if they were both quality and cheap is beyond me unless the quality was the issue? Performance and word of mouth will trump any loud mouth with no experience just calling something shit. But if you have a bunch of people doing it, then its not just loud mouths generally and its people that have been burnt by it. Why do you never hear the good about kits? Well when people are happy, most times they forget to write reviews... because its working and they are out playing. So its a Catch 22.... will your kit work? Who know's slap it on lets find out. And as I stated above the gen 2 kits Chad calls them, its not really the fitting that is the problem anymore its the quality of the parts used failing now. And here is the problem with that, a part not fitting well luckily isn't destroying your motor if it fails to fit vs the other way around of the parts failing, food for thought.

So I was the one you basically replied to in this last post of yours so hope I answered some more of your questions. If you have more, ask away. But I'd give us a run down of your motor as is now, fuel supply and upgrades etc rear gearing... and search so much your eyes bleed

And I stand corrected its no longer on their site or ebay you need tubular K member. It use to be though, and there is old threads here that state it as well. So hey, cool shit, hook it up lets see how it does. I think you'll be fine honestly.... just match things up properly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  18. BYEBYE2U

WOW boostedbadboy! you really ran it down there bud LOL! i appreciate the advise and being new to turbos man,i take it seriously.I just knew this guy and he's ALWAYS changing shit up with his car and this time around I was just in the market so i jumped on it.he put this kit on a bone stock 91 coupe,stock K member,stock motor mounts etc and it fit super.my set up is a stock bottom end 302,GT40 P heads,5 speed and 373 rear. ofcourse i'm adding Ford 42's in the mix and will be using a 340lph fuel pump. i'm not looking to bust the block here I just want to bolt the kit on have it tuned safe 425-450 HP and i'll be tickeled pink. I got the kit so i just wanna use it and have a little fun going to cruise in's and shows maybe hit the track a time or to just to see what she'll do.i think it's very possible.

19. madspeed

youre on the right track

20. PrecisionTurboMustang

Did it clear the front sway bar?