1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Barn Build 1965 Mustang.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by nevermore, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nevermore

Figured I should start a "build" for my pony.

1965 coupe. Originally 289/4spd, Black w/red interior. It was my Mom's from 1972 'til 1992 when they gave it to me for graduation. I spent a lot of time and a little money (5 bucks an hour didn't buy much) working on it before I ever drove it. Two years later re-re-painted it, rebuilt the motor ~325HP, put a T5 in it, all new (stock) interior. Drove it for several years like that. Some rust started coming back, a few dents, motor burning a little oil, got married, built a house, had a kid........decided it was time to do it "right" this time.

Well, the thing the snow balled from a "restomod" into "mosterfication". Stripped every bit of paint off and cut out all of the rust. Replaced both full quarter panels. Rolled the rocker panels, quarters, finders, and front and rear valances. The body work is about half way done. All epoxy primers, All Metal, and poly glaze.

It got put on hold again due to a death in the family, selling my house, moving, selling my Mom's house (inherited), and building my barn/house. Now 18 years after I got the car I've got the time, money, tools, and facilities to do it "right".

The plan:

Complete custom sub frame
    Air ride suspension
    Subtle body mods
    Custom interior
    Boss 351 storker (383-393)
    Turbo (twins or singles, not sure yet).
    TKO600
    9", 31 spine axles.

A lot of it is still up in the air. Lots of decisions to make. I've got the block and trans. The frame is about half way done. The holidays slowed things up a bit, but I should make some progress here soon.

smaller right front.jpg #ad

small from right rear.jpg #ad

smaller frame from stairs.jpg #ad

2. watahyahknow

nice suspension on there never seen a watts link like that , doing it like that saves a lot of room though

3. nevermore

Thanks, that's actually a "Mumford" link. I started out with a watt's link, but the "one high/one low" link system proposed an issue with getting the exhaust out the back. With this I will go under the axle, shoot them at an angle from around the diff towards the back of the tires, then roll up to some mufflers just under the frame rails.

I went with the Watt's and then the Mumford 'cause they keep the rear end exactly straight up and down through the the travel. I couldn't afford the slight swing of a panhard bar 'cause the tires would rub against the outer finder wells when the car drops.

A nice side effect of the Mumford is that I can get my roll center really low (subterranean is some cases).

4. Tygy

Car looks sinister. Great fab work.

5. nevermore

Trying to post a lot more pics. Resized and reduced the numbers. Still won't post. :bang: :bah:

6. nevermore

Some more pics

frame leg and pieces.jpg #ad

frame leg clamped down.jpg #ad

welded up frame leg.jpg #ad

7. nevermore

8. nevermore

9. nevermore

10. BlownShovel

subscribing. Great Project :2thumbs:

11. MONTEGOD7SS

That frame jig seems puuhhlenty strong enough. I like the mockup block too, what brand is it?

12. nevermore

I don't remember the brand of the mock up block. I got it from summit. Actually sent it back. $300 POS!! :bah:

Description said "poly" mock up block. I got it, expecting something like an injection molded "little tikes" toy (tough as nails) and the POS was friggen Styrofoam. Called them up and they said "no, it's actually 'plastic' ". Heck, it already had a crack in it. It may have been worth 100 bucks tops. I decided that I used an old stock block that I have and wrestle the engine hoist.

Yeah the jig was made from some junk iron I had laying around that my Dad had collected 20+ years ago. Some times it pays to hang on to junk I guess. :chacha:

13. HAULIN IT

That is WILD! Keep us updated as things progress. I've not seen a rear suspension like that before...it's hard to imagine that there is someway to keep everything centered/not rotating while making that much travel, COOL! Lorne

14. NewTune

Very nice work. Got the fab skills, for sure. How did you come up with the design for the front suspension?

15. nevermore

I bought the front clip from Scott's Hotrods. The machining and fab work was top notch, but as far as customer service they suck. I won't buy another thing from them.

I had to modify it quite a bit for the Shockwaves. I'm in for a massive brake upgrade too. It came with stock Mustang II rotors and S-10 brake calipers. They might work fine, but they just look cheap through a $3800 set of wheels.

Front clip.jpg #ad

16. NewTune

Will this setup allow proper camber through the entire lift/drop range? In other words, will you be able to ride at any height you want without eating up tires?

17. nevermore

Naw, the wheels tilt in at the top pretty much. They told me to set it where the lower A-arm was level with the ground when the car is at ride hight. I don't know if I'd want to ride much lower, it's 4 1/2" from the cross member to the ground and rear will be about 5 1/2" to 6". And the clip is supposed to be level with the ground too. The best I could figure is that the car would ride at about a 2º - 3º nose down angle. So to be safe I tilted it back (in respect to the frame rails) ~4º. I didn't mess with the geometry of the A-arms. I think it's pretty much like a Mustang II.

BTW, I love you quote. It probably leaves non-turbo people scratching their heads still.

18. NewTune

Regardless, It looks absolutely bad ass. Have you picked a color for the body yet?

19. nevermore

It's always been black. I love black, but it's a b!tch to take care of. So I am seriously thinking painting it satin black with a gloss black inlay on the hood or gloss black rally stripes.

The interior has always been red, and I'm thinking of keeping it that way too, but leather and some brushed stainless and wood accents.

20. 10secgoal

You got my last email back yes ?

It's kinda of a cheap block, but I LOVE the thing !!