1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boosted 428 Gen 3 Hemi

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Bad Boy, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Bad Boy

thats my target actually but just waiting for weather to cool off . We hit 50c degrees here and it is not summer yet . As for down sizing the turbo that is my last option tbh. Am thinking i could solve the late spooling issue one way or another instead of changing the turbo.

2. Bad Boy

All of you guys seem to be agreeing on giving it more timing might fix the situation, or atleast improve it. I guess i will be doing that then :)

3. Bad Boy

How can i add a video on here?

4. 300 turbo

On 5 psi and good fuel you are probably not in the right area considering 20 degrees.
    Try out your settings on a dyno when feeling safe and give you engine the right amount of ignition .
    My turbin house and wheel was too small and gave me knock w only 20 ° on 7psi.
    It ran like a soggy, sticky gum , later changed the turbine house and wheel to 1,32 and now running 30° on 10psi w.o any nock.
    Engine now feels light running, snappy and happy..
    Ps: completely different engine but thats what ignition does. BB 394cui .....

5. B E N

Modern cylinder heads won't require as much timing as the old school stuff did. These engines only take mid 20° range NA, the factory tunes the stock gen 3 headed engines to right around 20 at full throttle... so feeding them 30 under boost isn't a great idea. This might take a little more due to bore size, but it won't be crazy.

upload_2024-7-3_8-10-31.png #ad

Keep it conservative, go out and do full throttle runs and plug reads, add in timing 2° until the plugs look like they should. You could take it to the track and drag test it watching MPH, add in a couple degrees until you maximize MPH then back it down to the setting where it stopped gaining, the engine will tell you what it wants.

Bad Boy, Punk.Kaos and 300 turbo like this.
  6. Punk.Kaos

The Gen3 Hemis like less timing than the old school RB big blocks like mine. 36 degrees on my engine is where mine is happy. If memory serves you're probably going to be about 10 degrees less than I am with the Gen3. Head tech has improved a fair bit since 1964 when my engine was built :p

300 turbo likes this.