1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dual Turbo Charged Fuel Injected Flathead Ford

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Vergil, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Vergil

Thank you Mnlx

2. PaulC-turbo5.0

Vergil like everyone has already said this is just a down right awesome build! You did an amazing amount of customization and doing this whole build in a year is impressive retired or not! I hope to be able to do this in depth of build someday and I would be happy if it came out half as good as this.

Vergil likes this.
  3. Vergil

Thank you Paul, it turned out better than I was expecting. I was turbo dumb and knew nothing about them and having a Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost I figured the turbos should work on the flathead and if they didn't I would gut the turbo's and run the exhaust straight thru the housing and do away with the intercoolers and go for the look after all the work of getting them to fit. Lo and behold they worked, made for a smile on my face. I have been very happy with the roadster and not due to my ability but to dumb luck and not to knowledge. I have to say it is a pretty quick little flathead, again thanks.

PaulC-turbo5.0 likes this.
  4. PaulC-turbo5.0

O thats awesome! With all the other super cool stuff you did I think I glanced over the ecoboost turbos! My dad has an F-150 with the ecoboost and it didnt hold up long term for him but it sure had awesome power!

Do you have another build in the works yet? Or at least in planning stages?

Vergil likes this.
  5. Vergil

Paul I am 78 and probably won't do another build. I wanted to do the roadster as my last one. I do have a '30 Model A pickup with the same fuel injection setup and flathead but has a t5 transmission and the banjo rear end has the Ford type axles that can be changed as the 9" axles are and have a '64 Ford Falcon Sprint with a built 354 cui sbf in it but 2.75 gears in the rear for longer trips.

6. B E N

Never the last, Gene Winfield is still rocking it and he's got 15 years on you!

nxcoupe, Vergil and PaulC-turbo5.0 like this.
  7. Vergil

Hahaha that is correct and no way will I be as spry as Gene is, my hat is off to him and he is an inspiration to us.

8. Vergil

Yesterday was such a nice day I took the roadster out for a 50-60 mile cruise just to get out and enjoy the day. Stopped by where I retired from and took a picture by the P&H shovels at the plant entrance. I am still impressed with the little flathead how well it does in spite of my know how. Just had to post it sorry.

Rdst-bw-1.jpg #ad

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  9. Disney Lincoln

Sorry for? Having such an awesome ride? Being so creative with your fabrication? For being our new posted child for "Gettin it done"?

That's an awesome shot!

Vergil likes this.
  10. Vergil

Thank you Disney Lincoln but I read the posts about which turbos to use and all the technical stuff that goes with it and I realize I know diddly squat about turbos and was just lucky to pick the F150 ecoboost turbos and the ecu I had can handle the boost. It all worked out and I'm thankful it did and really like the little roadster and like the builds I read about and the skills people have are awesome.
    I will continue reading and hopefully some of it will rub off on me.

underpsi68 and Disney Lincoln like this.
  11. 01BlueCrew5.4

AWESOME build!

Vergil likes this.
  12. Vergil

Thank you BlueCrew it was fun building it but it's fun to drive also.....

13. rollin-coal

Dam!!! That is a awesome roadster, that mush turn a lot of heads. I have a 36 ford flat head 1 1/2 ton. I use it a lot, done more then 30-35

Vergil likes this.
  14. Vergil

Thank you rollin-coal glad to see the flatheads are still appreciated.

rollin-coal likes this.
  15. malibuguy

I absolutely adore this. I am a sucker for Flatties. I wish I had/have machine shop skills.

I was just thinking about your AOD issue, which i know you resolved, but maybe for someone else in a similar situation, why not use a different ratio bellcrank/cam to change the amount of throw for the TV to work?

Also...unless I missed it...any video?

16. Vergil

Thank you for asking malibuguy. I thought about the bell crank but couldn't figure out how to mount it to the throttle shaft and move the cable at a different ratio than the throttle movement while making it presentable. I probably wimped out and went for the easy way. I was happy with it using a toggle switch but Mnlx had a much better idea and went with the latching relay and have been very happy. I was also worrying about ruining the transmission. I have no video other than from the drivers seat using a cell phone, sorry

malibuguy likes this.
  17. 74chlngrTT5.9

Like all others have stated. This is an incredible build. Really enjoy the one off fabrication to tie it a together with odd parts.
    My TT Challenger build is vastly more conventional. But still has a multitude of custom pieces.
    Fully understand what it takes to reach the end goals with all the necessary fabrication.
    Fyi I also have a 64 Sprint currently in build.

Vergil and rollin-coal like this.
  18. Vergil

Thank you 74chlngrTT5.9, I really like my '64 Sprint, it's a great road car but would be even more fun with a turbo. I think the custom pieces as on your TT Challenger makes the build interesting and unique.

schick, 74chlngrTT5.9 and rollin-coal like this.
  19. saltfever

What is incredible is your knowledge of all the off-the-wall parts that fit in weird places to facilitate stealth mode. Although, 2 turbos hanging out the side . . . oh well! :acne: :acne: The overall creativity is delightful.

Vergil likes this.
  20. Vergil

Thank you saltfever much appreciated...