1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mercury Comet that I wasn't looking for

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 62CometTurbo, Feb 8, 2021.

1. 62CometTurbo

All my pictures did the same thing whether I did thumbnail or full size, so I just went with full size. Is that your Comet?

2. Joeyman

I've got a 62 mercury meteor its black with red interior. If I had the funds I'd build a good motor and twin turbo it. I'd need a lot of $$ which I don't have ha

nice build and cool car

3. 62CometTurbo

Nothing overly exciting, got the heater box all cleaned up and rebuilt. New foam throughout, scrubbed and clear coated the blend door to keep it from rusting, scrubbed and shot some trim paint on the other stuff to keep it nice. Got it all back together with new core and blower motor, can't wait for the salt to wash away so I can take it for a spin with heat! 20210211_145139.jpg #ad
    20210212_130945.jpg #ad
    20210212_165129.jpg #ad
    20210212_165135.jpg #ad
    20210212_165142.jpg #ad

TurboHugh, nxcoupe and Disney Lincoln like this.
  4. Pro-SC

The car is pretty cool, really like that factory console, looks likes it matches the valve covers!
    Do you have a link to those louvers you bought on eBay?

5. 62CometTurbo

Thanks! I think its finally kind of coming into its own.

He makes the louvers in different sizes, I was going to try making some but didn't even know where to start.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Ang...-/182381322709?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Pro-SC likes this.
  6. power band

[​IMG]#ad

Yeah, that's my 'rescued' junkyard Comet the NA Tri-Power 250 build. Also build Forced Induction and use a Maverick as the host 'body'. Previous Draw-Thru turbo and current SC'd Ford Small Block Six:

[​IMG]#ad

WTF with the Amazon ads???

[​IMG]#ad

have forced fun

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Disney Lincoln likes this.
  7. B E N

Louvers are tough unless you have a louver press, louver dies for your press, or louver dies for bead roller. One of those things that's usually much cheaper to buy than build unless you need a lot of them.

8. Pro-SC

Very true, plus you don’t see many people doing it anymore. It seems to be one of those old school mods that are going away. Guys used to always make louvers on deck lids, hoods etc, it seemed to fit on the older cars with more pronounced body curves.

62CometTurbo and nxcoupe like this.
  9. Disney Lincoln

I can remember car shows back in the early 90's where about every car was louver'd to the max. I still dig it.

Pro-SC likes this.
  10. B E N

part of what's changed is the availability of vehicles. You can't go buy anything from the 30s unless your willing to pay big bucks for rusted to the max cab. Even a reproduction 30s body is out of reach. With the muscly car boom you can't pick up descent quality 60's stuff for a budget build unless its obscure. Most of the vehicles that are readily available are not suited to louvers.

50s stuff suites louvers well, but the prices on anything from the 50's that isn't rusted to the ground is skyrocketing too.

Maybe I'm wrong, but louver panels seem out of place on a 80's / 90's truck. And it seems like those are the only readily available cheap rwd vehicles that are made of steel.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  11. Vergil

Nice build and impressed that you got the intercooler to fit behind the grill.

TurboHugh and 62CometTurbo like this.
  12. 62CometTurbo

Thanks, it was a fair amount of work between the water pump pulley and the grill. There isn't much room between the radiator and intercooler, but nothing is rubbing so it seems it's good to go.

I need to get some pictures up of my trans cooler set up, and a couple other things and that will about sum it up to this point.

I've got a local guy that says he can set me up with a Dart SHP bottom end flex plate to timing cover, oil pan included for $6k, but I've got some reservations. Not that I don't trust him but that seems a little low. He knows what my power goals are so who knows. He set me up with the current 347 and it's been nothing but good so far, but the whole thing cost $3200 with me assembling it. Anyone have any input on this?

13. Disney Lincoln

You can get a shortblock from Dart for 5k, so 6k doesn't sound out of line.

nxcoupe likes this.
  14. 62CometTurbo

I just priced one on fordstrokers, yeah it was about $6500 with the lower end crank and rods that are the same he said he'd use at that price. Internal balance and all. That includes their oil pan package which pretty much makes it ready to roll. I guess I don't feel so weird after that, I know fordstrokers the go-to.

15. 62CometTurbo

Working on adding a muffler to my fender dump, but started thinking about splitting two 2 smaller pipes to make it easier to run under the car. I've got a 3.5" single now, I figure 2x 2.5" pipes would be fine, but would 2" work or is that too small? I've got to go under a cross brace so I don't want it hanging too low.

16. Disney Lincoln

Got any pics looking down from the brake MC area? Maybe looking in from the Dr side wheel?

17. 62CometTurbo

Let me get some, I just slapped it back together because the wife wants to walk the dogs LOL. May be this weekend before I get a good shot at it. My father in law has a lift in his garage so I may try to throw it up there to get a good look at it. I can say this, engine bay space is almost non existent.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  18. B E N

The dual 2" will be ok, run the 3.5" back as far as you can. Oval tube might be a better option.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  19. 62CometTurbo

Are people still using the 6530 MSD box? I've got an old 6A, no rev limiter in there currently and think I could help my cruise and part throttle driving a lot by a better ignition control. I'm on locked distributor with vacuum advance still functioning.

I ask because there's one on ebay $400 new in box.

20. az92coupe

I ran a 6530 on my last blowthrough setup.. worked fine. You can still do vacuum advance with it if you want, but just ran timing locked out at 36-38 degrees and pulled timing for boost. Ran great, idled strong, behaved very well cruising around on the street.

62CometTurbo likes this.