1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mercury Comet that I wasn't looking for

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 62CometTurbo, Feb 8, 2021.

1. 62CometTurbo

Thanks for the info. I'm locked out at ~18° with vacuum still working at the moment. You didn't have any start issues or were you accounting for that in the map?

2. silver82GT

I use a 6530 box as well. Works great and easy to program. 39 degrees total at cruise and pull timing from there.

3. 62CometTurbo

I feel like I'm leaving a lot of driveability on the table the way it is. Do you have the vacuum advance hooked up?

4. silver82GT

The distributor is locked and set at 39 total or 0 degrees retard at 16" of vacuum. From there the box pulls 10 degrees of timing to 0" of manifold pressure or 0# of boost if you prefer. (This is the vacuum advance.) From 0 my setup pulls 1 degree/lb of boost to 16 degrees total timing and levels off there. (This is the boost retard function.) You will need a MAP sensor for the box to be able to do this. The box has lots of other features as well like a 2 step, launch retard etc.

New+Picture+1+1353884491.jpg #ad

On this example that I grabbed off the web he has full timing from 13" until 5" of vacuum then no boost retard until 4# of boost and then pulls 14 degrees of timing for 15# of boost. Bear in mind that the chart is in PSIA so 0 boost is 14.7# at sea level or slightly lower at higher altitudes.

Probably clear as mud now right? :)

TurboHugh likes this.
  5. 62CometTurbo

Sounds like for the price of admission its my best bet unless I get serious and go injection. I'm not hating the way it drives now even with timing locked so it can't get any worse haha. Thank you guys for the info. I might just pull the trigger on it.

6. Disney Lincoln

7. az92coupe

Pulled a bunch of timing under 250 or 300 RPM for the start issue. Easy to do. It's not perfect, but you are correct - for the price (and simplicity), it's hard to beat.

8. 62CometTurbo

I think I'm going to get the 6530, seems there is still enough interest if I don't like it I can sell it later.

Everything is on hold at the moment, just got a contract on a house that actually has a garage. No more working in a shed or gravel driveway! Now to sell the one we're in....been busy pressure washing, painting, etc.

One more question, anyone have an idea what kind of power a 650 blow-through could support? Currently has stock float valves, don't mind going to a larger size because I'm sure I would need it. Guessing I'm around 500hp now, goal down the road would be 750ish whp after the Dart block.

B E N and Briansshop like this.
  9. Briansshop

Congrats on the house. I imagine yours will go fast,the market is crazy. You staying in the area?

10. 62CometTurbo

Pretty much, moving back over to Mechanicsville. Just barely past Charlotte Hall though so won't be far. We will definitely cross paths at some point I'm sure! I don't want to park too close to that Fairlane when it's done and make mine look bad though...

11. B E N

House with a garage is a huge deal, congrats! It will step your car game way up.

650 in blow through will support a lot. If it is enough for the engine it doesn't matter if your cramming in 1 natural atmosphere or 3 via a turbo. As long as your fuel supply is there you'll be fine.

12. 62CometTurbo

Thanks guys! Nervous but excited. Looks like the house doesn't "need" anything to move in, current owner is a car guy and the garage is extra clean so I'm excited to have a nice area to work in. Already have plans for a steel welding table with casters...that should help a lot.

Good to know the 650 "should" work, I am hoping I can use as much of what I currently have as possible with a new intake manifold and the 6530. The old Weiand dual plane(pre-stealth) is working for this setup, but not sure I want to risk it turning the knob to double the pressure.

nxcoupe likes this.
  13. nxcoupe

I wish mine would have had a nice garage. Mine is a hole. But I think I'm starting on my pole barn soon so that keeps me going. You may want to paint before you move in, always makes it easier with nothing in the way.

silver82GT likes this.
  14. Dsmless

Might have missedit, is that a quicksilver shifter your using for the manual valve body AOD trans?

15. 62CometTurbo

It's a cheap TCI Fast Gate actually. Other than the T handle lock rattling being annoying every so often it's been pretty solid. Had to buy a bracket kit to go with it to mount to the AOD. I may upgrade at some point but it's the last of my worries right now!

16. Mnlx

I personally don't think you'll gain much for drivability with the 6530. I ran mine like yours (I left a little mechanical in it for easy starts), and with a little tinkering could get 40+ degrees under light load, and it cruised great.

17. 62CometTurbo

It seems to run fine, I guess I'm just wondering about if I turn the boost up closer to 15 psi if it would benefit me at all. Probably stay around 10-12 most of the time depending what kind of power it makes. Any of the other features be worth the cost you think? I currently don't even have a rev limiter.

18. B E N

Rev limiter is good, turbo makes it easy to spin the engine up in a hurry :)

19. Mnlx

If you're going to spend $400+ on the 6530, I'd spend the money on a microsquirt, or save up, and buy a terminator x. Both would give you so many more options down the road.

nxcoupe and Russell like this.
  20. 62CometTurbo

I was just thinking that, might as well spend a bit more and get something I can grow with. Support on the Holley is easier to find than mega/microsquirt I'm assuming? I know megasquirt has been around forever.

nxcoupe likes this.