1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 82 Malibu twin turbo build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by malibuguy, May 10, 2015.

1. malibuguy

I figure I'll finally post up about my build, its my 5th Malibu & I am finally building one the way I want to. Its a long work in progress as fundage is tight.

I bought the car in late August '13 with 54k on it, stock 229 semi-odd fire V6 (think 3/4 305) th350c & 2.41 gears. My 'original' idea was to just clean it up, have it running good & cruiser as I already have a money pit/toy. Yep...it did not stay that way. Its my first v6 malibu so I figure i will play with it...everybody has a v8 malibu ;)

The highlight reel...

When I first brought her home
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Original idea was to do a single & hide everything in the fan shroud
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Currently I have the motor out to port the heads, install the cam, better valve springs, not a full on build, but upgrades in the right places
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

This is why we are here & pair of Mazda cx9 turbos...k04, got one for free & the other for $75. I am going to build compact manifolds & mount the turbos as close as possible to the head for minimal heat loss as I want a super low boost threshold. I want instant torque...no need or plan to rev the motor above 5k (with the stock cam its floating at 4800), the new cam should not raise the power band much as its a mild upgrade.
    [​IMG]#ad

I have a Holley 390 that I'll modify for boost. I know nothing about Holleys, so this will be a challange for me. Plan to use a MSD 6530 for ignition control.

My ultimate goal is around 250 at the wheels (its making 116/176 now) which should dip it into the 13s. I want it to be/feel kind like a mild 383...just fat torque everywhere. It is not a race car, & it never will be!

Worse case scenario...if I blow this motor, I just recently picked up a 267 with 50k on it. That is my back up motor. That will eventually get a similar treatment.

2. turbomalibuwagon

This should be cool . I would think it should be close to stock GN power .The numbers don't sound that impressive till you are asking yourself what the ....... after getting a woopin from one lol.

3. M&M Turbochargers

cool project!!! :corn:

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

5. malibuguy

Thanks guys. My first malibu ran 14.3s with a mild 305 and alot of converter and trans. If i can surpass that while maintaining my current 18~ mpg and street manners id be happy. Oh I should note i am going to try to achieve this using 87 octane. I know thats crazy but its a challenge.

6. Twin Turbo Skylark

That is an interesting goal to do it on low octane fuel... I was thinking about that the other day as for a daily driver it makes it $$$ to use premium...

7. malibuguy

I figure the car is not for competition...and it gets the worse mpg out of my cars and it has the largest tank. Probably end up using a water/meth injection to help offset the low octane

While my other boosted car...still gets 35-38 mpg... (2nd best) and is built for abuse/competition...so that gets 93...plus its 9.7:1 compression seeing 14lbs of boost...its a little out there

8. ss496

love this project...

9. afterfire

Pretty cool build. I've been day dreaming about doing something similar with 78 or 79 Lemans with an even fire 231.

10. malibuguy

The 231 has so many more options for it you can easily go in any direction

11. sr47

87 octane? Straight meth and a J&S Safeguard.

12. flyinhillbilly

13. Drac0nic

Very cool build! Those CX7s were pretty serious I thought ~260hp each from the factory. You run 2 you'll be capable of a lot more power than you're going to put out. My advice is do your homework but consider a single one instead of two. Also consider a 200R4/700R4 swap at some point.

Man 4 doors or not that is a nice looking ride.

14. malibuguy

I already have a fresh 200r4 with a shift kit in the car already with a stock replacement GN converter. Goes sideways when it hits 2nd gear lol.

My choice with the twins is to build very compact manifolds to spool fast as possible with little to no heat loss for fast transient response. A single no doubt would be simpler and possibly overall perform better up top...but with my limited rpm and street desires i think the twins will work out best for my needs.

15. malibuguy

16. Twin Turbo Skylark

I normally use a toggle switch for the lockup converter, just remember to add the switch to the ground side not the 12V side... And use a brake switch so it un locks if you hit the brakes. Without the brake switch the engine will stall if you hit the brakes when its locked up...

17. Drac0nic

If you want it done as per the factory, here's a schematic. This is REALLY (as in almost 10 years now) old one I did just out of college along with an explanation of the circuit. You may already have the vacuum valve which is a nice bonus.

[​IMG]#ad

"How the circuit works is as follows:The pink/black wire is energized when the key is in the "run" position. The vacuum switch turns on when the vehicle is pulling significant vacuum at low RPM. The fourth gear switch is connected to a chassis ground in the case. When the switch closes, this allows the relay RLY1 to energize and the converter clutch solenoid. The relay RLY2 serves the function of disconnecting the converter clutch solenoid when the brake pedal is pressed as actuation of the brakes when the converter is engaged is hard on the clutch in the converter. "

18. malibuguy

Thank you this will help me a ton. There is so many confusing diagrams on the internet. This makes sense

19. Twin Turbo Skylark

And just another tidbit of info... I use a normally open lighted switch for controlling the lockup, and an normally closed switch for the brake switch...

20. malibuguy

Apparantly the vacuum switch was discontinued a few years ago...seems like other people are using a switch from TCI