1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Boosted Work Truck! 5.3 LS 4x4

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

I just got a 05 Z71 crew cab and I am adding a 6 inch suspension lift, 35 inch tall tires and then as soon as possible I am adding a single turbo. The truck has the 5.3, 4L60E trans, and 4.11 gears so the 35s will work fine.

I bought this for a truck to use for work and it is full loaded, leather, heated, sun roof, etc... I need to drive off road a lot for work but I still needed something that was good on the highway, so this should work well.

I need some help picking a turbo for this truck that will be running under 5500 RPM, just looking for a mid RPM gain not a drag racing setup. I know the 4L60E is the week link but the 6.0 trucks with the 4L80E are pigs on fuel compared to this and I could not get the short box crew cab combo with the larger engine. I will have a performance built 4l60E installed when the stock trans gives up...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. BlownShovel

I like the ride. Just add a little boost and enjoy. Not sure if any of the gt 45 variants woudl be a good fit on the cheap. Longevity would be my concern

3. hoopty5.0

Did those BFGs take 85% of the budget? They think they're worth their weight in gold!

4. LSTD

Nice truck! I have an 01 gmc that I plan to turbo as soon as my car is finished. Great trucks

5. Nonwoven29

Nice pickup. Boy it looks like you have some crazy welding skills! Loved that intake you fabed for the Buick.

6. 91turboterror

Nice truck. I don't know how the 4L60e would hold up in your truck even a built one may be on borrowed time. IMO go 4l80e after that one gives up.first the truck is heavy,will have tall tires and it's a 4wd work truck correct? Does that have a 10 bolt rear in it too? I hope not cuz that will blow to smithereens too.

7. Iskwezm

I had a 94 GMC with a 4L60E and 4.10's, after the first trans went out at about 70K miles, i couldnt keep a trans that would last.The first trans lasted through a occasional nitrous and it was lowered. Then it had a 9" lift on 35's and that took out 2 transmissions.

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

I decided not to turbocharge the truck, partly due to the 4L60E, the weak rear end, and the fact that I need it to be reliable for work. The truck drives really good now as is, so I am going to leave it alone and let it make me some money... I am getting 18 MPG per tank so I am happy with it and the 5.3 has a lot of power as is. I get paid an extra $200 a day using this as my work truck, so I am saving that money up.... Once I have some cash saved up I will find a 2 WD reg cab long box 2000-2006 GMC 2500 with a 6.0 and 4L80E, and I will turbocharge that one.

I find it best to keep my "toys" separate from my daily drivers... It is tough to mix reliability with big HP....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. BlownShovel

Drive it , enjoy it... and play with the skylark!

10. fastspec2

Man, let down. I was hoping for some 4x4 boosted fun! Nice truck though.

On the 4l80 swap line, does anyone have a link or any info on the 4l80 swap into the 2000-2005 or so 1/2 ton trucks?
    I'm sure its been done a bunch. What research I have found requires a 6.0 ecu and some harness changes.

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Honestly, I looked into the 4L80E swap before I committed to buying a truck and I know that it is WAY too much hassle. Move the T-case, new driveshafts, not worth the hassle to me.

If I had my way I would have had a 1500 with a 5.3 and 4L80E however GM never made them like that so it must be a 6.0 to get the 4L80E and it has the longer box which I don't like...

I actually looked into the 4L60E builds and there are a FEW shops that are building these trans to handle 700+ HP and they are reliable however do not expect your local trans shop to be able to make a 4L60E live with boost on even a 4.8L with boost.

I am opening back up to the idea of turbocharging it if I end up getting a really good 4L60E trans in there and I am willing to spend the money to have a reliable trans even if I do not boost the truck... So first step is drive it for a few months and make sure it is all good and then spend $3000 on a strong 4L60E and when I have time swap it in and start thinking about adding a simple turbo install and 5-7 PSI and go from there...

I think before I do anything I will build a crazy strong custom front bumper and install a 8000 pound winch. This truck will not be driven off road for sport but if I end up in the ditch filled with snow I need to be able to get out....

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Hi there,

No I bought the 35 inch BFG tires for $700 for a set of 4 as they were used for a few months on another guys truck. The 285/70R15 tires on the truck when I got it were NEW, like VERY MINT so I left them on the rims and swapped them on my old 1991 GMC 2500 along with a 2 inch body lift so that truck will also look and drive a little better than it does now. The 91 was fully rebuilt by myself and my friends over the past 10 years and it features a crate SBC engine, rebuilt 7004R trans, rebuilt 3.73 rear end and it is also begging for 5-7 PSI of turbo boost:

This was it when I got it 10 years ago at 350,000 miles:

[​IMG]#ad

I still don't have any pics of it with the body lift and wheel upgrade as I am painting it myself right now:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. Twin Turbo Skylark

Hi there,

No I bought the 35 inch BFG tires for $700 for a set of 4 as they were used for a few months on another guys truck. The 285/70R15 tires on the truck when I got it were NEW, like VERY MINT so I left them on the rims and swapped them on my old 1991 GMC 2500 along with a 2 inch body lift so that truck will also look and drive a little better than it does now. The 91 was fully rebuilt by myself and my friends over the past 10 years and it features a crate SBC engine, rebuilt 7004R trans, rebuilt 3.73 rear end and it is also begging for 5-7 PSI of turbo boost:

This was it when I got it 10 years ago at 350,000 miles:

[​IMG]#ad

I still don't have any pics of it with the body lift and wheel upgrade as I am painting it myself right now:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

canopy/box topper is now off!

[​IMG]#ad