1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

The 83GT... back to BBF

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BBR, Oct 8, 2019.

1. BBR

HFT trailer, extended tongue, mid-size pickup toolbox. Ramps slide in upsidedown, jack stores between them. Slicks ride on the back with a bar that slides through and secures them. I added a rubber sling underneath to protect them a little from road debris. Jerry can straps on next to the slicks.
    20200618_180908.jpg #ad
    20200521_204358.jpg #ad
    20200307_135546.jpg #ad
    20200621_160059.jpg #ad
    20200629_120016.jpg #ad

B E N and nxcoupe like this.
  2. nxcoupe

Thanks! Now, how much tongue weight does that have and do you make any adjustments to your rear suspension to accommodate the extra weight on the back?

3. BBR

I've never weighed the tongue weight. It's not a whole lot. You can lift the tongue off the hitch when loaded and set it on the kickstand. It's not very hard.

We don't go crazy taking a bunch of stuff with us either. Some guys carry a ton of spare parts and tools. We have basic tools, electrical stuff, spare water and fuel pumps, baby diapers (good for pesky drips, like weepy rear mains or a drippy trans seal), timing light, little air compressor, jump box etc.

We have airbags in the springs if we need a little boost.

Lengthening the tongue was one of the better things I did. Seems to track better behind the car and it is 110% easier to back up if you have to. Backing up with the short tongue was almost impossible. It was easier to unhitch, back up, then reconnect it all.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    nxcoupe and Russell like this.
  4. Russell

The drag week trailer I built in 2018 and totaled in 2019 started as a Northern Tool trailer, same just black and was in stock the day I was shopping. I built a box and over houng it off the rear and put the tires on the tongue. It had to be packed perfect so it was not too tongue light.

The second year I removed the axle and fenders and drilled new holes at the end of the frame and pushed the axle all the way back around 8" iirc that helped a ton and was pretty easy.

B E N and nxcoupe like this.
  5. BBR

Front exhaust benefit: It will drive right up onto the big trailer without the need for any jack shenanigans or hanging up.

Yesterday I submitted my tech video to RMRW and passed that portion of it. Raceweek offers you the option of submitting a video showing your lights, horn, blinkers, tags, insurance, neutral switch, battery shut off, seat belt and helmet dates. When we get there on registration day, we will go to the express tech lane where all they will need to do is tech the car for the rest of the drag strip stuff, which for us won't be much. [​IMG]#ad

Just for peace of mind, I went ahead and changed the oil. I also zip-tied a diaper to the bottom of the trans bellhousing (a-la Drag Week 2012) to catch the persistent rear main drip this (and nearly every) BBF has. It doesn't leak much, but at least the diaper will keep the dips from getting on the bottom of the car.

Fired it up, double checked the timing, let it idle for a long time to see if it would heat up. Nope. [​IMG]#ad
    Swapped the air filter to a slightly taller one, really because I like the way it looks more than anything. Haha.

Between now and Saturday, I will just going back over stuff to make sure bolts are tight and everything is in order.

mld54 and B E N like this.
  6. BBR

Loaded and ready to roll out to Tulsa.

20240621_201410.jpg #ad

Russell, nxcoupe, tbird and 2 others like this.
  7. silver82GT

Good luck, I am sure you will have fun! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

8. BBR

Annnnd we're done. And home again.

About 10 miles into the drive we stop for gas. Shut the car off, fill up, hit the key, warump warump warump... Ok. Great.

Get out jump box. Warump warump warump. Connect different jump boxes several different ways. Warump warump warump.

One time there was a grinding noise. It made me think of flexplate teeth on the bellhousing. Idk if it was or not but that is what my brain immediately thought of.

By now, you can smell the starter and the cables are hot.

We decided to throw a starter in it so a nice Roadweeker gave me a ride to the store and back. The old starter was still hot. Put new one it and confidently hit the key....

Warump warump warump.

Back to square 1. It had started fine every time up until now so we are bewildered. Bypass the battery shutoff. Same thing.

We decide that even if it did start, we don't want to deal with the possibility of it occurring all week. We were in a good position to call it quits, so I texted a rookie kid that hung out in our pit all day and he gave a ride back to the track.

We winched the car up and made tracks for home.

Yep it sucks, yep it was unbearably hot, yep my ears are glad they didn't have to listen to that exhaust all week, but hey, in order to fail, you must first do. And doo'd we did.

FB_IMG_1719279860282.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  9. BBR

I forgot the beginning of the story.

We get to Tulsa and then go to the track and drop off the car and trailer. They were having a Shelby Mid-America meet that night. They made us pay 20 bucks each to get in the gate to go drop our trailer off which was okay. We went to the hotel checked in, and then went and ate some dinner. We decide to go back to the track, since we had wristbands, and watch their bracket race. There are plenty of cars, but nothing just impressively fast. A lot of cars with street tires just spinning off the line.... forever.

The next morning is tech so we get up and get to the track a little after 8:00. We found us a pit area and get things set up and then go get in the tech line. On the way to the tech line I noticed that the water temperature was rising rapidly. We breeze through tech in just a few minutes and go back to our pit. Of all the drag and drive events, Raceweek has the tech situation handled the best by far.

We immediately dive into why the car was getting hot and discovered that the fuse for the electric fan had blown. Judd hands me another fuse, I stick it in and kapow! It immediately blows. I start looking around and find a ground wire that had melted to the fan connector on the fuse holder. We correct that and the electric fan works again. Whoo hoo.

Track goes live at 3:00 and they finally call our class to the lanes. It is ridiculously hot outside. On the way to the lanes I noticed that the wide band is showing almost full rich on the gauge, but the car doesn't seem to be running any differently. I go make a pass and it's a weird one. Car leaves nice but the wide band shows that it's crazy rich going down the track and it just wasn't revving smoothly at high RPM.

We look back at the videos of the run and the car doesn't seem to be blowing black smoke or anything like you would expect so we think that maybe it was misfiring and giving a false rich reading. I look up what my jetting was in my old 950hp in Tulsa back in 2012 and we raise the jetting in this carb the same amount from my Amarillo jetting. We also noticed that the rear bowl float level seem to be higher than it should so we adjusted that back to the middle of the sight window.

They finally (Tulsa seemed really slow about getting cars down the track) call my class back to the lanes. Wideband seems to be acting normal now. It was immediately apparent in the burnout box that it was way way way too rich now. I go ahead and make a horrible pass, slower than the first, and head back to the pits.

We scratch our heads for a while and then return the jetting back to what it had been previously. We figure that maybe the rear float got stuck or something and was over fueling on the first run. We waited and waited and waited to make another pass and finally at 10pm we gave up and turned in our first timeslip. 11.87. Oooooooffff.

We call it a night, go eat dinner and cool off with a cold shower. Car runs fine, but she's a noisy sucker.

So about the front exit exhaust.

It's loud at 3000 rpm. Like "please make it stop" loud.

Car will easily load on the trailer without any extra shenanigans.

You can access the starter SUPER easy.

FB_IMG_1719283446631.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  10. Russell

Mufflers, or two way radio head sets?

11. B E N

Sorry for the bad luck. Hopefully the starting problem is just wiring or something simple.

12. BBR

Different car for Drag-n-Drives. One with air conditioning. I *should* just sell all my junk and get a 14 or 15 Mustang.

Greenbean should have AC though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Russell likes this.
  13. nxcoupe

Sorry about the tough luck. At least you got to go. I wear my noise cancelling headset I normally use for flying. I want to get the ones the big boys use where they can listen to music and talk to each otger in the car. I have a fix for my loud exhaust so check in my thread once I start on my car. Pistons should be back this week.

BBR likes this.
  14. BBR

Man idk. We hooked up jump boxes and batteries to it nine ways from Tuesday with no luck.

I might go up today, pull all the plugs and see if it spins over.

15. Russell

The A/C is out on my mustang. Compressor seals said they had enough. I still think they need A/C but doing D-n-D in November helped last year.

nxcoupe likes this.
  16. nxcoupe

Figure anything out on it yet?

17. BBR

Not a whole lot yet.

Pulled the plugs and it would spin over, but slower than it should be. Starter was working to to rotate it. Nothing came out of the plug holes. Drained the oil and it looked great. I have not cut open the filter.

I made a bar spanning the engine bay to support the back of the engine so I can drop the trans. I took the converter bolts out hoping I could slide it back enough to just spin the engine with the starter but no dice. The studs are just long enough to still engage the flexplate.

I will drop the trans down tomorrow and see that I can see.

nxcoupe likes this.
  18. B E N

There are companies offering 12v AC compressors these days, throw a big alternator on that BBF and retrofit stock AC... Will cost you less than a few months of car payments :D

BBR and nxcoupe like this.
  19. nxcoupe

That's interesting. That could solve a lot of plumbing and accessory issues.

20. B E N

Soon the only accessory your hot rod will need will be a 200A alternator!

Kidding aside, I hope the 12v AC compressors end up working well, it has been 90+ here most of June, and it hit 100 yesterday. I wouldn't be driving anything without AC in heat like that, especially not when there is traffic all day every day. It would be nice to be able to package a compressor in a swapped vehicle and still have the comfort.

nxcoupe likes this.