1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

302 gaskets

Discussion in 'Pushrod Tech' started by Wallace, May 8, 2024.

1. Wallace

I'm in the process of pulling the 302 out of my Lincoln and I'm going to replace all the gaskets.
    I'm using the 9333pt1 head gaskets. I've already got the reusable valve cover gaskets. What about the oil pan gasket is there one to recommend?
    Was thinking of replacing the water pump too if you have a recommendation there would be great too. Thanks

2. Russell

I had good luck with the blue one piece felpro.

3. mld54

Does your oil pan have dimpled rails or smooth rails ?

4. Wallace

I'm not sure about that I'll have to look. Does it matter for the gasket selection? I just got the engine/transmission out of the car last night and I didn't have 7/16-14 bolts for the stand. I'll get it on there tonight and see.
    Victor-Reinz makes a $40 gasket listed as metal core. None of the parts stores carry that gasket but Rock Auto lists it.

5. Briansshop

I've always had the best luck with old school cork/rubber combo pan gasket. Tried the one piece style and it didn't work out for me.

silver82GT and B E N like this.
  6. Russell

When you pull the pan put a straight edge on it and adjust with a hammer / dolly to get it flat if you have gaps.

7. B E N

I tried on piece on factory sheet metal pan (truck 351) and had a bad time with leaks. I think the cork works better with stamped sheet metal

Briansshop likes this.
  8. tbird

Ive never had cork or one piece gaskets straight leak. KNock on wood. But I prefer one piece cuz most of them have a metal ring at each bolt hole so when its tight , its tight. Cork always was a guessing gaming on tightness for me. Often after time the bolts would be loose or the gasket would start to seep so they needed to be tightened again.

ummduh likes this.
  9. Wallace

I bought the mahle/clevite gasket. Ordered from Rock Auto. The rails are made like the reusable valve cover gaskets.

10. mld54

There are different one piece gaskets for the different rails. The older pans have dimpled rails, they originally used cork gaskets and the one piece rubber gaskets for them are flat and smooth along the rails. The newer pans have smooth rails, they always used one piece rubber gaskets, the one piece gasket for them has raised ribbing along the rails to seal. The two different types won't interchange without leaking. I have engines with both types, the newer flat rail pans definitely work and seal better in my opinion.

B E N likes this.
  11. Wallace

I ordered the mahle gasket. It's made similar to the reusable valve cover gaskets with the metal core.
    IMG_20240519_072828561.jpg #ad
    IMG_20240519_072816075_HDR.jpg #ad

tbird and B E N like this.
  12. underpsi68

Ford one piece.

13. Wallace

I was thinking that might have been the Mahle was. It had a grey one piece with the metal inserts at the holes on it so the gasket got changed at some point.

14. ummduh

I've been using mahle and felpro one piece stuff for a while now with no issues. Making sure the rails are flat and using the spreaders seems to work well.
    For the most part I was ordering the cheaper options off of rockauto.

I haven't touched the factory headgaskets yet though.

15. jbliss15

The new style one piece pan gaskets are amazing

16. Wallace

Header gaskets what are you using? I'm using P heads with the header flange for an aftermarket head so the bolt holes are in the middle of the port instead of offset slightly. A part number would be great. I ordered remflex but I see alot of people have problems with them.

17. ummduh

I'm using remflex. So far so good. I'm also using stage8 header bolts.

I did put some effort into flattening the header flanges, they did warp on me pretty good. Just put them on a big belt sander at work.

18. B E N

I installed a set of Proform conforming soft aluminum gaskets on a BBC last weekend, I was pretty impressed with them. I think they will hold up better than the Remflex under boost. Could be worth a shot.

19. Russell

I didn't have access to a belt sander when I put my turbo on. I got my long block and roll of 80 grit out and sanded buy hand until it had scratches all the way across. I used Red RTV. Knock on wood so far so good, no leaks. Even had one of the bolts fall out. New bolt and good to go.

20. ummduh

Man I lost a bolt I think every time I took it out until I put the stage 8's in. And they were the really nice 12 point arp bolts too. Only have like half of them left.

Russell likes this.