1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

64 ford galaxie turbo build..

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Fordman67, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Fordman67

Auto because I have a factory swing away steering setup. It uses the shifter to release. Ima dork and want all that working proper. 4r70w are basically free and I can build the myself.
    Yea adapter for fe to 4r70w. Terminator x max controlling so its all integrated

I have the 340 already so we shell see where it ends up. Nbd if I have to upgrade later I guess.

2. 91turboterror

Did swing away steering only come with automatic cars? Have you you considered a e4od ? It’s stronger than a 4r70w from the get go. It’s like a c6 with overdrive. That fe will most likely put down quite a bit of torque. If you want to turn the boost up higher down the road the 4R will be even more failure prone .A hellcat fuel pump would be able to handle your fuel demands.

3. Fordman67

Lol no e4od. I have one in my obs (it hates me with the s467.7 and 250/200s). 4r70w is a pretty good unit. The e40d is huge and support for it is ok but the 4r70 will do what need nbd
    Yes swing away was auto only.

4. Fordman67

Whats the consensus on both side pipe diameter? 2.5? 2.25? 3"?
    Ic piping 3"?

5. B E N

You didn't really mention your power goals for the project, I am assuming it's something like 6-700? Hot side 2.25 will be fine, it's usually a good price as well. IC piping should be bigger, 3 or 3.5 is good. You will need a fairly large intercooler for the 390. See what the biggest one you can fit is, and match your piping to inlets on the intercooler.

6. Fordman67

Honestly it will make what it makes. Im not worried about where it lands. It will be leaps and bounds better than present. Its a pretty mild 390 honestly. Maybe 9:1 if that and a pretty mild camshaft. If it made 500 I would be thrilled.
    I keep going back and fourth on 2.25 vs 2.5. I can make either fit I believe.
    On ic pipe would it be reasonable to match turbo outlet diameter? Yes the ic i will get as large as I can accommodate. I just have to keep in mind it will get an ac condenser at some point also lol
    Thanks for your advice!

7. bbi_turbos

There is actually a bit of math involved in choosing both.
    Ic piping needs to be big enough to not allow air to exceed 450ft/sec, any higher creates turbulence and losses.
    You also don't want to go too big, it's added volume which increases response time.
    Same goes for intercooler, you want one sized just right. To small and you don't get enough cooling, as well as too high of a pressure loss.
    Too big and it's also added volume, gas speeds are slower which means it's not as turbulent and doesn't cool as well, aka less efficient.
    At most you need an intercooler rated for 750cfm. If you know how thick of an intercooler you can fit, the rest can be figured. The thicker it is, the smaller the intercooler. Generally a thin core with big frontal area cools the best, but isn't always practical to fit.

As for piping, I'm getting 456ft/sec with 2.25" piping, and 376ft/sec with 2.5". However that's with a 100% efficient engine, your at best 80%, which puts you around 420ft/sec. My vote is 2.25". your not going to live in that 420ft/sec territory for very long, and it will work better with your small turbo also.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  8. TurboSnake281

@Fordman67 I run all intercooler piping 3 inches and I use a turbo size to 3 inch coupling for the turbo to cold side piping. This is with single turbo.

9. Fordman67

Outstanding ! Thanks for your knowledge sharing. Im new to this and learning. I will deff take your advice!!! Thanks a million!!

TurboSnake281 likes this.
  10. bbi_turbos

Had some time with turkey coming to run some numbers...
    To make the 450hp you said you'd be happy with, means the intercooler needs between 32 and 44 sq/in. This is the side that the tanks go on that your piping connects to.

IF I was you, I would measure how big your radiator is, and stack both the intercooler and ac condenser in front of it, but on top of each other. For a quick visual say the radiator is 24" tall, have both your ic and condenser both 12" tall. Stack them on top of each other for 24" tall, then install both in front of the radiator. This way there's an even flow of air going through both.
    Air travels path of least resistance, it's easier for air to go around a thick intercooler instead of through it, if it's just mounted freely in the front somewhere.
    Mounting it the way I described means the air has only one way to go, and must go through the core. Plus your engine fan will pull more air through it at idle, helping the ic from getting heat soaked.

Anyways, with 32 and 44sq/in in mind, find how tall of an intercooler you can fit, then divide those numbers by it to tell you how thick the ic needs to be. Using the 12" example I gave earlier, 32÷12=2.6", 44÷12=3.6

I would say a 3" would work, but if you plan on upping the power later, a 3.5 might be the better option.

11. Fordman67

Ok, I'm finally moving forward. I was in a multiple month wait for the frame to be chemical dipped,then I repaired it and the ridetech coil over system is here also. I have all the parts to assemble the trans and am starting teardown of the car for frame swap.
    I am looking at getting started on buying the bits I will need to get this turbo aspect moving along as well. Just to bounce this off you smarter than me gurus
    -4 feed, -8 return? Return fitting bung to be welded into pan above oil level in line with a main cap.
    What carb hat is good as I have a stealth throttle body ?
    I got a 3.5" dp from a buddy that was built for his fox but we did a bunch of changes and he could not use it. Funny enough the FB dp is spot on.
    I need to order a wg and bov still also.
    I'm getting pretty excited now.

12. Briansshop

13. Fordman67

Briansshop likes this.
  14. mld54

Bigger the better on the return, I run a 4 feed and 12 return.

B E N likes this.
  15. Fordman67

I can't remember what I have on my truck. The s467.7 iirc is -8 but it's a short return of only maybe 6". This will be longer,maybe -10 instead?

16. KEVINS

No need to go that large. I use a -8 feed and -8 return which is enough to support approx 1100FWHP.

ks

17. mld54

Are you talking about fuel system or oil supply and return from the turbo ?

18. KEVINS

Crap!, I was talking fuel...duhh... Sorry!

I agree, -4 feed and -12 return. I had issues with a -10 return. Actually I use steel tubing 1" OD x .04 wall for the return line because the ID of metal tubing is larger than the ID of hose and the OD is easy to work around.

ks

B E N likes this.
  19. mld54

I have used copper water pipe and fittings before, after all it is designed to flow liquid.

20. Fordman67

Fwiw I'll have a good amount of straight down and just a bend into the pan.
    My truck drain is a 45° and short hose all down.