1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Greenbean gets an HT60

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BBR, Jul 21, 2022.

1. BBR

I had planned to pull this engine and steal the cam for the 83. I really don't want to do that anymore. The 83 works so I am going to concentrate on getting this thing running and driving.

Ive owned this car for several years and have not even driven it yet!

nxcoupe likes this.
  2. BBR

Took a vacation to Hawaii and did a lot of thinking about my project cars and what I want from each of them. I came to the conclusion that I don't want both Mustangs to slide into the same niche. I want the 98 to be more street oriented and the 83 to be more racecary oriented. It's real easy in my mind to start driving each project in the same direction. This thing is real close to running and driving so I am going to forego the 4R70W trans swap and continue on with the E4OD that is already in it. I am actually strongly considering put the 4R in the 83 so it will have overdrive...

So, onward and upward! haha

Rockers and the 4bbl throttle body are now installed. I need to come up with a solution for the cruise control cable, but that can happen later.

IMG_20231017_200401_562.jpg #ad

3. BBR

I worked on this thing today. I monkeyed with getting the water pump mounted. It doesn't quite fit like it used to with the thinner radiator and I don't like how I have it set up now. Really opening up to completely changing how I'm doing the water pump and maybe changing to a different style water pump altogether.

nxcoupe likes this.
  4. BBR

Moved the water pump today. I like this location much better The pump should be a lot easier to service should the need arise.

This is where the battery normally goes on an SN95, but the larger radiator took up some of the battery space. I was faced with probably having to put the battery in the trunk anyway. Putting the battery in the trunk is not my favorite thing to do. In fact it's one of the things I wish I hadn't done on the 83 but don't really have a lot of choice in this situation.

IMG_20231120_193455_261.jpg #ad

5. TurboSnake281

I like that my batteries in my truck for weight distribution to rear end (because there was no space in engine bay) but I hate that it’s there for electrical reasons it makes things more difficult so I agree with you @BBR

BBR and 74chlngrTT5.9 like this.
  6. BBR

I just need to wire it up and I'll be done. I am much happier with this setup. No crazy tight bends and everything is easy to get to.

20231121_180435.jpg #ad

nxcoupe and B E N like this.
  7. BBR

Now that the water pump situation is straightened out, it's time to get back to the electronics end of things.

Today's task was simply to see if I had the electric fan wired properly for the MS to control it. The circuitry of Ford's CCRM thingamabob can be difficult to figure out.

I hooked up the jump box to provide power and set the fan on temperature to 50° F. I sent it to the MS and the fan kicked on just like it should. [​IMG]#ad

Also stuck the water pump fuse back in just to make sure it would turn on. Yep. [​IMG]#ad

I think the only things I have left are:
    • intake air temperature sensor
    • fuel pressure gauge
    • set fuel pressure
    • add fluids
    • prelube the engine and then turn the key and see if it'll start
    20231129_174345.jpg #ad

B E N, nxcoupe and 74chlngrTT5.9 like this.
  8. BBR

Probably the smartest thing I have done. Jump/charging lugs under the hood.

IMG_20231208_172442_397.jpg #ad

9. B E N

Those are cool, do you have a link for them?

10. BBR

11. DatCompound

Super neat build.

Probably way late but a couple fabrication ideas from my experiences-

That downpipe/exhaust looks like trouble. I have enough problems with my tire rubbing components in the wheel well without piping in there. But for the 90 deg outlet on the turbo you might look for a "cobra head" piece. They look like this-
    [​IMG]#ad

You can see if you can snag one off a QSX-15 for a turbo outlet that size. They're nice because they give you a super tight bend radius, but with that bulge out the side they maintain cross sectional area. They're also cast so they hold up to the heat very well.

For the radiator you ought to be fine, but you can sink your radiator into the core support for more clearance. A Subaru WRX/STI radiator fits with minimal modification. Mine keeps the car cool even with two turbos and the exhaust piping in the engine bay.

There's also quite a bit to be gained with baffling to prevent recirculation around the radiator. You'd be surprised how much of an effect that can have, and there's tons of room for recirculation with the stock style setup.

nxcoupe likes this.
  12. BBR

Very cool. Thanks!

On my other car, I dropped the radiator and moved it forward. I didn't want to do that on this one because I didn't want to jack with moving the AC condenser and/or lengthening the associated AC plumbing.

nxcoupe and TurboSnake281 like this.
  13. BBR

I know I said I was going to leave the E4OD in it, but I just can't. Haha.

Judd was home for Christmas break and did a radiator, intake and carb swap on his Galaxie. That thing is really really good now, but it would be freaking awesome with a trans that has overdrive. So, I figure there is no point in me having a driveshaft made for this car if I am just going to yank it out later to put the trans in the Galaxie.

IMG_20231221_084159_369.jpg #ad

14. B E N

Overdrive is the best upgrade to an old car. It's hard to live without :(

nxcoupe, TurboSnake281 and BBR like this.
  15. BBR

The Galaxie has 4.10's in it so when you are in 3rd it feels like you are only in 2nd. Your brain keeps waiting for another shift. Haha.

Pro-SC, nxcoupe and TurboSnake281 like this.
  16. B E N

I grew up working on my Grandad's farm in southeastern Utah. He contracted hay cutting and bailing all over the Moab valley. He had a 30' homemade tilt and slide flatbed truck that he used for hauling equipment. With a ford N1 on the bed and a bailer in tow that truck must have been a heifer. It had a 333 ford Llama (not a Lima) engine, I can't find much on that engine but the red line was some 3500rpm, and a pair of 4 foot glass packs in the stacks.

With a non-synchronized 4 speed, a gear splitter, and some incredibly low rear gears, there was nothing like the sound that thing made through pipes rapping out first, double clutch to first over, double clutch again, second, more double clutch, second over just getting through an intersection after a stop light. It didn't help that my grandad liked an exhaust to pop and bang, and would usually attach the vac advance to ported vacuum to ensure every vehicle would make that happen. So every gear would wind up, he would hit the clutch, exhaust made cannon fire, then on to the next gear.

A town deputy pulled him over in town one day because they "heard him speeding down main street", I don't think you could have gotten up to speeding in that thing in Moab at that time even unloaded. fortunately he did a bunch of work on the sheriffs property so when he gave the deputy an earful and the sheriff showed up the sheriff knew exactly what was going on, the poor green deputy ended up in hot water, and got an ass chewing from my grandad. I won't ever forget the racket that truck made going through the canyons at 55. As much as I love the sound of an engine, cruising is way better at 2300 rpm than at 3000 :D

Pro-SC, 74chlngrTT5.9, C-lab and 4 others like this.
  17. BBR

The last major purchase hurdle to swapping in the 4R70 was the converter. I *could* have tried to use the stock converter, but I know better than that. Haha. After a bit of deliberation, I bought a Boss Hog ACC 26513. It is an 11" converter, 2800-3200 stall with lockup. Since this will primarily be a street car, I really wanted to retain the lockup feature. I have not 100% decided how I want to control the trans yet. I could use the Bauman controller or I could put a transgo kit in it that makes it a manual valvebody with no computer needed. I would not mind that in a street car. In fact, I kinda like manual valve bodies.

The car is in the air and all ready for me to start plucking the E4 out.

18. KEVINS

I have the Quick4 for my 4R70 and I really like it. It's not as simple as a MVB but I do like to be able to have the lockup activate via the tune. It can also store several tunes which then can be activated while driving.
    One tune can be full auto and a second Manual shifting, etc..

I have a total of three tunes (two are stored in the controller): Street, Race, Dyno..

ks

nxcoupe and BBR like this.
  19. nxcoupe

I switch between 2 tunes on my 6R80. I like making a pass and not having to take my hands off the wheel. Computer does it all. Next years plan(yes, I plan that far ahead) is to incorporate paddle shifters on it ao I can play around with it on the street or use it to control wheelstands.

KEVINS and BBR like this.
  20. KEVINS

I also like the idea of paddle shifters and thought REALLY hard about them but ultimately I wanted to keep the interior as stock/simple looking as possible..

ks

nxcoupe and BBR like this.