1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Greenbean gets an HT60

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BBR, Jul 21, 2022.

1. B E N

I think after 6488 times I would have taped a pad to the latch. :321:

BBR likes this.
  2. BBR

It was a endless cycle of: Ow dangit, not gonna do that again. Ow dangit , not gonna do that again. Ow dangit, not gonna......

Slow learner.

nxcoupe likes this.
  3. Krazed

I learned to wear a hat while working under/in cars... since I started shaving my head 10+ years ago I hit my head a lot more! As it turns out, your hair is kind of an "Early Warning System" for incoming attacks from inanimate objects.

Hats are a decent alternative, and are good at preventing cuts!

Russell, nxcoupe, BBR and 1 other person like this.
  4. nxcoupe

I'm in the exact same boat, and couple that with being 6'2", my head comes in contact with a lot of things frequently. I'm starting to show signs of the effects of multiple concussions from running head on into rack arms and tires, exhaust clamps, rear end housings, just to name a few.
    Car is coming along, keep at it.

5. BBR

6'3" here. I'm always crashing my noggin into something. Probably explains a lot. :banana:

Since I am going to put a Transgo AODE-3 manual valve body kit in this transmission, I want a better shifter. The cheapo one I bought is ok, but has no reverse lockout and just doesn't work nearly as smoothly as the B&M's I have. So I ordered a B&M ProStick for this car. Basically the same shifter that is in the 83GT and in Jake's 95GTS.

Yesterday, I vacuumed the interior and reinstalled the back seat. I also removed the Bauman trans controller and figured out what wires I need for neutral safety and reverse lights.

We are getting close to first fire up again!

I think the list is:
    Trans cooler lines
    Neutral switch
    Fluids
    Prelube
    Fuel

To drive it needs:
    Shifter installed
    Megasquirt & Ignition igniter mounted
    Driveshaft
    Brakes bled
    Diff fluid
    Seats reinstalled
    Grease everything

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    nxcoupe likes this.
  6. B E N

I am also 6'3", evidently clearance challenged people like turbos. Now I understand why you got rid of Nanner.

I am amazed at your progress, 2 cars going and you still post updates every day. I can't even get my shit together on one. Great work!

nxcoupe and BBR like this.
  7. BBR

haha thanks. I've actually been playing with 3 cars. lol I try to fart with at least one everyday.

The other one besides the 83GT and GB is my oldest son's 95GTS.
    Snapchat-1361710989.jpg #ad

He picked this car up last year. It is an older build and has some decent parts. 347 with 351 heads, roller rockers, Edelbrock upper, Trick Flow elbow, BBK throttlebody, Summit MAF, 30# injectors, long tubes, unknown cam, 3.73's I think. It had a Tremec 3550 in it, we swapped in my AOD and converter because he wanted to do a single turbo. It ran, but acted weird. No power at upper rpm at all. We undid a ton of previous owner screwups, but the problem persisted. He took it to Colorado with him for a while and worked on it in his spare time. We found the fuel pressure was dropping significantly at WOT so he put a pump in hoping that would fix it. Nope. His spare time dwindled as did his interest because it just would not run right. I brought it back to Texas and have been playing with it and getting it sorted out. The biggest prob it had was timing. We never really looked at it because it didn't give any indication it was screwy. Started fine, didn't get hot, etc. (once we got the fan running the proper direction. lol) Once I got the timing correctly set (it had waaaaaaaaay too much) and an new cap on the distributor (old one was jammed on wrong.... don't ask me how) it really came alive. I think the PO was chasing a low power problem caused by fuel pressure and started messing with timing. I am still monkeying with it a bit for him to fix PO issues, installing gauges, just getting it in decent shape so he can play with it, etc.

nxcoupe likes this.
  8. BBR

Started putting the shifter in it today. This will be the third shifter I have had in this car and it hasn't even ran. I guess that is par for this project since it's on its second transmission. Haha. Sheesh.

I just need to modify the cable mount a little and it'll be finished.

Snapchat-591606423.jpg #ad

fastspec2 and nxcoupe like this.
  9. BBR

Shifter is installed and it is smooth as butter. Each click is so satisfying. I had to modify a C6 cable mount to fit this trans because the kit doesn't come with AOD/AODE/4R70W mounts.

This one feels so good that it makes the old B&M in 83GT feel kinda bindy and stiff. So, I did what any good gearhead would do. I started messing with it's cable routing and mounting.

20240416_181035.jpg #ad
    20240416_181110.jpg #ad

TurboSnake281, nxcoupe and B E N like this.
  10. BBR

Gosh, this thing could actually run this weekend. Yikes.

nxcoupe and B E N like this.
  11. BBR

Nope. Didn't get to do nothin'. :bah:

12. Krazed

This is the way.

BBR and TurboSnake281 like this.
  13. BBR

I still have not tried to fire it up, but I did put a battery in it today to see if it would bump over correctly after the 4w70 swap. It does. Win.

I also robbed the electric water pump to take as a spare for the 83GT on Raceweek. Haha.

74chlngrTT5.9, Russell and nxcoupe like this.
  14. BBR

I turned my attention to Greenbean a little bit this afternoon. I reinstalled the driver's seat and reinstalled the water pump.

The decided tto go ahead and fill it up with water and make sure it didn't leak. Well. It leaks.

For some reason it is leaking at the front of the intake manifold. I put 4 and 1/2 gallons in and then it started puking water out. I have no idea why it is leaking where it is, but I'm just glad it's not leaking around my motor plate.

It must be something to do with the intake adapter plates that I have on this engine. But you'd think if it was leaking at the front on the driver side it would also be leaking at the rear on the passenger side, but I don't think it is. So something is wonky. I'll start taking it apart tomorrow to try to figure it out.

20240720_184414.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  15. Russell

Bummer, did you check the oil make sure its not leaking inside also?

nxcoupe likes this.
  16. BBR

It doesn't have any oil yet, but yeah I am going to check.

17. mld54

How much clearance do you have between the converter and flex plate bolts ?

18. BBR

Idk. It's close though. My guess would be 1/16-1/8".

19. BBR

Found the source of the leak. The intake adapter plate was not seated properly on the head. It was hung up on one of the small button head allen bolts that secure the valley pan. I stuck a light into the intake port and it was close, but not down flush.

There was about 1-1/2 cups of water in the pan. Blah.

Everything is cleaned up and ready to reassemble. However, I may send these plates back to the mfg to have the rest of the holes drilled & tapped. Backstory: a little while after I installed these, the mfg (Price Motorsport) called me and told me they had a few sets slip out without having all the bolt holes drilled and tapped. They asked me if I wanted to send mine back but since it was already assembled and at the time, it was going to be naturally aspirated, I didn't think it was a big deal. It probably still isn't a big deal, but since they're off, I might as well try to get them fixed correctly.

When they get back I will add a small clearance notch for those button head allen bolts.

20240721_135833.jpg #ad
    20240721_154841.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  20. mld54

That may not be enough, the flex plate acts as a spring to absorb the forward push of the converter when you're hard on the throttle. If the setup doesn't have enough room to flex it will wipe out the thrust bearing. My car required .120 to clear and stop damaging the thrust bearing. On my car the pilot of the converter would bottom against a step in back of the crank. If your converter bottoms against the bolts it will do the same thing.

nxcoupe, B E N and BBR like this.