1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mercury Comet that I wasn't looking for

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 62CometTurbo, Feb 8, 2021.

1. 62CometTurbo

Made a huge difference in my case. I almost wonder if I shouldn't have gone with a 3.0x or 2.9x instead but this is worlds better than the 3.73.

nxcoupe and Briansshop like this.
  2. Punk.Kaos

Man thats just so backwards from my whole rear gear worldview... For my whole life its been steeper gears! 3.91's, 4.10's, 4.56's.... I'd just about throw anything below a 3.55 in the trash :p I HATED my 3.23 rear until I turboed the rig and then it had so much power it didn't seem to matter. But I've never tried any other gearset in it to know for sure. I'm excited to find out now :p

3. CW25

I prefer the lower gearing for the around town driving I always do. I hate how soggy the 3.23s made the truck feel off boost. On boost couldn’t tell other than it held first longer. But this pig weighs 4300 rolling down the road.

Punk.Kaos likes this.
  4. nxcoupe

See how much rpm you cross the stripe at and how your 60' looks. Adjust down from there. Should be good where it is tho, but time will tell. I am going down to 3.25 in my 9" because 8k is just too high of rpm for my liking and on drag and drives, it'll just chug along. 3.55 makes 1st gear useless in mine, no boost at all. But we'll see how the converter changes that.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  5. Russell

I firmly believe increasing enjoyment is most important. I can't remember did you take it to the track with the 3.73? It would be cool to get an A to B comparison of the ET.

Seems like a lot of turbo stick cars still run really deep gear.

I do wonder if I am getting close to running out of RPM/Gear in the 1/4. Most of the track time is on the 1/8.

6. 62CometTurbo

I'm curious about the converter too, but just driving it seems to like the gear more. More drop between gears than the 3.73.

I did get to the track once, ran a 10.50 best et at 107 mph. Had to let out I'd guess around 1000 ft because I was banging the limiter in 3rd. I think I started braking once I let off but I can't remember 100% and have no data log.

nxcoupe and 74chlngrTT5.9 like this.
  7. Russell

Do you remember what it ran in the 1/8?

8. 62CometTurbo

6.68@114 w/ 1.79 60'. I was not wot until 2nd gear.

Russell likes this.
  9. 62CometTurbo

New PB; 10.02@ 143.7. Only thing I changed was the gears and caltrac leaf springs. My 60 ft was garbage, 1.8. I'm really not in practice launching this thing. I have some video I'll upload soon, but watching it I think I shifted out of First and second too soon. I was about 6600 through the trap, so I do have some good data to compare for converter slip.

10. 62CometTurbo

11. Russell

Nice! 143 mph! Get that 60' down should be in the mid 9's

62CometTurbo likes this.
  12. 62CometTurbo

Thanks! I was pretty excited about the trap speed. But yeah, I need to work on getting it out of the hole. I know a tbrake would be a game changer, but it would be sweet to run mid 9s with a carb and foot brake before I go efi and all the other modern cool kid stuff.

74chlngrTT5.9, nxcoupe and Russell like this.
  13. Russell

How much boost are you able to leave with? Maybe 2-step?

I know nothing about autos or carbs!

14. 62CometTurbo

I do have a 2 step, I just need to play with it and see where this thing wants to leave. I can hold 25-2600 rpm with the pedal but it starts to creep past that and it's really loading up the suspension. I want to try maybe 22-2300 rpm on the step and see if it can build any boost.

One goal I have is to get a little weight out of the car. Its 3160 with me in it, in fire suit and helmet with about a half of a 16 gallon cell. I'd say dressed up I'm probably 175-180 so the car is just shy of 3k.

Russell likes this.
  15. Russell

What kind of ignition box are you running? Stick Shift guys pull timing to spool turbos because there is not converter to load against.

Can you put a timing retard on a button? I am not sure if pulling timing would help or not?

16. 62CometTurbo

MSD 6530. It does have a launch retard function that I'm not currently using, just need to add a button to trigger it.

74chlngrTT5.9 and Russell like this.
  17. 62CometTurbo

Looking back at video and playing it over in my mind, I think it was stumbling a little off the line. Then once it builds boost it takes off. I'm assuming it's rich causing it to break up a little until it starts pushing enough air to burn it all. Not sure if a trans brake would help with that, but I'm going to play around on the street and see what's going on. I know in 3rd if I just flat to the floor from cruise it does the same thing. Afrs go rich for a second and it seems to break up a little until it starts to spool.

I dont have a brpv in the secondary, I wonder if that would help. I could drop that jet size to help with out of boost and have the pv open at a few psi just like the front.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  18. 62CometTurbo

Dropped one jet size in the primary, took out the pvcr, and removed the secondary squirter cam. Seems better but still goes rich(10.4ish) up to 5 psi. Pri: 70/brpv with no pvcr/stock air bleeds/pink squirter cam. Sec: 84/blocked hsab/no squirter. This combo has me around 11.4.

From a roll flat to the floor it breaks up until 4-5psi then spools fast and hauls. On the street the 2 step seems to work best if I'm flat to the floor then let off, no stumble just tires roast and clean through rpm. If I can get back to the track I'll try that. REALLY want this thing to see mid 9s before I go efi just to do it but I'm not going to try to break it to get there.

74chlngrTT5.9, Briansshop and nxcoupe like this.
  19. 62CometTurbo

Thinking about painting the roof. Let me get some votes! The gold pictured is way too yellow. It would be more of a champagne color.
    Screenshot_20240611-071304_Chrome.jpg #ad

20. silver82GT

Considering everything else is black and chrome I would go with a black roof. My $.02

Briansshop likes this.