1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

On3 kits, explorer fead

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by ummduh, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Wallace

I read through your thread great job. What turbocharger did you end up using? I'm doing a stock 5.0 myself.

2. ummduh

It's a rev9 t72, I believe I have the .81 ar version.

The internet folklore is that this is a turbonetics t72 but machined offshore, supposedly the same castings. No idea, just spreading misinformation.

3. ummduh

FYI, it F'N RIPS! Figured out the boost controller. First run out hit boost safety at 18psi. I turned it down. These vids are at 12psi. And side note, neither of these are WOT. I actually don't go over 80%tps cuz I'm a little scared of it right now LOL

https://youtube.com/shorts/ev1jNKgYGQ0?feature=share3

Russell, 91turboterror and tbird like this.
  4. tbird

Sounds good!

Aint much difference in 80% to 100%. Might as well put it on the floor.

5. 91turboterror

dont be a sissy lol just kidding

6. ummduh

Lol considering the narrow back roads I was on, I was definitely being a bit of a sissy. Most of that pull was 70%, hit 80 right at the end. (The first vid)

The trans would have held the gears a lot longer if I would have been WOT.

7. 91turboterror

looks like it runs pretty good in the video. Good job

ummduh likes this.
  8. ummduh

So what does everyone think these explorer short blocks can take, boost wise, completely stock?

A guy at work is absolutely horrified I'm putting 12psi to it. He thinks there's gonna be pistons and rods shooting out of the block left right and center.

My basic ass understanding is with the e85 I'm much more likely to lift a head/blow head gaskets than I am to destroy a piston because most of that happens due to detonation on regular gas. As long as I don't lean it out anyways.

I don't plan on turning it up much beyond where I am now. At some point, after I have plan B, I'd like to see what it will do. I'm also not drag racing this thing, it's just a fun toy to drive.

My opinion is it'll probably take 15psi for a while under these conditions. I'd like to eventually try for a 500whp dyno sheet though.

9. tbird

ethanol doesnt burn as hot so its much nicer to pistons

There are peeps in the last few years pushing these engines farther than the claimed 500hp.
    Basically they are treating them like big power lsx stuff and keep out of low rpm peak torque and revving them higher. haha, I mean, even lower hp lsx dont like it much. Seen a few quick spooling lsx window the block at 600 or knock the head gaskets. Too be fair, some people shouldnt tune.

thats my .02

ummduh likes this.
  10. ummduh

That's my understanding as well. I plan on keeping it to whatever my fuel system can handle at 11.5:1 or so gas scale. I'm positive I'll run out fuel before boost

Those 12psi logs put me at 78% DC, so there isn't a lot left in it. Some wiggle room with refining the tune but not a whole lot.

Not much after that, I'm out of everything. Pump, lines, fuel rails, injectors... And probably talent

11. gruntguru

I always find I can open the throttle at least 20% more when I put both hands on the wheel.
    :adoration: Just sayin.

ummduh likes this.
  12. Russell

My neighbor has a HCI explorer short block with an On3 kit it making 550 with 9.6 psi. It's only been at that power level for a couple months. So far so good.

ummduh likes this.
  13. ummduh

This is true. Doesn't make for shareable video though, when the phone immediately hits the floor lol.

gruntguru likes this.
  14. ummduh

Well I guess like everything else, I'll just keep on keeping on and post up as things happen.

I'm currently reading up on spark plugs, as I'm just using the stock tr55's and it occurred to me that may not be great.

I really need to commit to wheels and tires this winter.

But I also have to rebuild the 460 in my 95 f250 too. Just the top end kit is $3200 on that.

15. ummduh

Went a car show last night that was doing 330ft drags. Had an absolute blast. I still haven't bought tires, and just roasted them for the entire 330ft. My buddy that went with me, his stuff wasn't running great so he let me borrow his 275 drag radials. Holy game changer!

I was still spinning up top, but I could actually get power down. All in all, I did probably 10-12 runs. That awd audi s4 obviously left me on the line, but I almost caught up at the end. If it was an 1/8 I would have passed him.

I definitely need a torque converter, (well and tires). Boost took a few to build off the line, was only able to foot brake to about 2000 rpm. I was hitting around 60-68mph in 330 ft.
    13 psi, 1 year old pump e85. When I thought my fuel was bad I pumped it into a couple gas cans. Then I just put it back in lol.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  16. Pro-SC

Ha, I haven’t read your thread for a while, nice to see the truck running good! Looks good too and best part is your driving it!

ummduh likes this.
  17. ummduh

Plugs seem to be okay? Looks like I have some room for a little more timing, and there's heat down about 2-3 threads. From what I've read it seems pretty good?.
    These are 1 and 2, but obviously I'm checking them all.
    IMG20230909152025.jpg #ad
    IMG20230909151524.jpg #ad

Edit: #5 is already getting pretty far down the strap. Being wasted spark I don't have individual control. Could be a fueling thing too though.

I'm going to put a set of tr6's in which are meant for a much tighter gap vs the tr55, I think it's like 0.030 vs 0.054 factory, and see how those do.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    tbird and Pro-SC like this.
  18. gruntguru

You can still control individual cylinder timing on a waste spark system.

19. ummduh

I don't think I can do any kind of cylinder trimming on ms2? I believe I need a ms3 to be able to do that. I'll have to check. I guess I should have said that instead, lol.

Any suggestions for converters? Everyone these days wants to sell you a thousand dollar billet piece. I don't think I need that, but anything else is becoming hard to find. A couple of the names I remember from the past don't seem to be around anymore, and I was never happy with b&m/tci stuff in the past.

Any suggestions for how to figure out what kind of stall I want? I'm guessing in the 3200-3500 range? Find a vendor and let them suggest it?

20. Wallace

I would think #5 would be fatter since the intake runner has that horrible kink in it. You're running the explorer intake right?