1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

project boosted thirdgen.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BOOSTEDROK, Aug 6, 2012.

1. BOOSTEDROK

Now that im about ready to start making some passes i guess its time to start my build. Kinda late, but better late than never. Been building and collecting parts for the last couple years, and its now getting close. Ill start it off with a basic parts list, then ill follow up with some pics later..

CAR: 85 iroc camaro t-top :bang:

MOTOR: 350 hyd roller block 60 over, forged 8.5 piston, cheap i beams, stock crank, AFR 195's, comp turbo grind, comp rr's, HSR intake, holley 58mm tb, ARP headstuds, ARP main bolts, FEL PRO MLS hg's...

TRANS: th400 w/brake, moroso deep pan, TCI circle track conv 2400 stall w/ balloning plates, B&M SFI flexplate, updated converter: 9.5 ptc

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION: front suspension stock for now, no front swaybar, rear consists of spohn lca & relocation brackets, spohn pro torque arm, spohn panhard, Trz anti-roll, homemade sub frames, 8.50 cage, menscer rear da afcos, afco da fronts

FUEL SYSTEM: stock sumped tank, magnafuel 4303, magnafuel reg, -10 supply & -8 return, 83 lb injectors.. now FIC 165 lbers

POWER ADDER: 76mm turbo, tial 44mm gate, greddy BOV, junk intercooler probably gonna remove it, E85!!! (Currently: vsracing s480)

ECU: old: accel gen 7 currently: ms3x

REAR: currie fab 9, currie nodular center, 325 gears, det locker, currie 35 spline axels, chromoly driveline 1350 yokes..

GOALS: +600 RWHP, low 10's- high 9's, street driven, E85 fuel, hopefully around 15-17 PSI..

update been 5.69 1/8 in oct' 2018

try and get some pics up soon!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  2. 89JYturbo

:2thumbs:

Watching.

3. BOOSTEDROK

Just a few starter pictures :2thumbs:

RearEnd.png #ad

Motor.png #ad

rearend2.jpg #ad

motor pic.jpg #ad

torque arm.jpg #ad

center.jpg #ad

pump.jpg #ad

4. BOOSTEDROK

The car made 370hp & 400tq on 4 psi & 25 deg, on the old fuel system 255 intank pump fuel, old junk ecu, through the t5 & 10 bolt before the 255 gave up.. So im hoping for the best, its seems to love the E85.

5. chevymec

Keeping an eye on this thread since its a 3rd gen !!

6. 89JYturbo

Looks good. I like the turbo position and downpipe. Did you do your own fab work?

Any pics or more info on the sumped tank?

7. BOOSTEDROK

A buddy of mine did all the fab work on the exhaust, 1.75 primaries, 2.5 crossover, 4" dp. The sump is a competition engineering sump w/ 1/2 npt, that I had a guy weld on. It seems to work pretty good so far. I'll try an get some pics of the sump.

8. BOOSTEDROK

some crappy cell shots of the pump and sump.

sump.jpg #ad

pump.jpg #ad

9. 89JYturbo

Thanks. I was considering two intank 255s or a pair of the new aeromotive 340s, but sumping the stock tank seems like a good way to allow easy upgrades (for instance if I decide to convert to E85). My main concern would be noise, I currently have a booster pump on my IROC that is very annoying. I want to enjoy driving the car, exhaust note and turbo sounds are accepted (prefered :D), fuel pump whine is not.

10. Nice Chevelle

Looking good !! I'm sure it will run good once you tune it.
    Subscribed. :2thumbs:

11. BOOSTEDROK

If you go e85 I don't think I would do the intank pumps. If you had pump/filter issues, it would be a pain to pull the tank all the time. My pump is mounted metal to metal, I'm sure if I placed some rubber in between, it would quiet it down.

12. BOOSTEDROK

LITTLE UPDATE.. Hooked up the 2-step through the gen 7, pretty simple!! Set it at 3600, gave it a couple lil test passes n let her rip. BOOM BANG BANG BOOM BOOOOOM!! :swear: :swear: think I woke up the neighbors!! Whoops!

13. Nice Chevelle

Video !!! Hurry, I want to see.
    :chacha:

14. BOOSTEDROK

Busy weekend, but was able to get some wiring done. Got some buttons installed in the steering wheel, for the 2-step and line lock. Installed some gauges, nothing major. Was able to make one little test pass on the street, grabbed the brake and 2-step, went up in smoke for about 400ft. :chacha: think I'm gonna buy Somme new radials soon!! I will try and get a vid up this week!!

15. BOOSTEDROK

Got a little rear suspension work done this weekend, the LCARB's sat at a funny angle :stupid:, they sat back away from the rear, it just didn't seem right. So I adjusted my LCA's so that my LCARB's sit at a 90 to the ground. Looks a ton better!! :2thumbs: both of my LCA's were siezed up, had to use a ton of wd40 & elbow grease to break em loose. And was only able to loosen 3-4 sides. The 4th is shot, even hit it with a torch :bah: so now ima build some new solid LCA's with heim's.. 1 step forward & 3 back, isn't that how it always works!! :doh:

16. BOOSTEDROK

Got some small updates, got the lcarb's welded in, both kirkeys are mounted, harnesses are ordered, and I gotta guy lined up to do the cage in chromoly in about two weeks.

17. stangwell

i need pics of rear end like shock location and lower control arms and how does your torque arm bolt to your rear end. I got a buddy with a 4th gen we put a big block in and it breaks or bends something every time it hooks. rear end always seems to move around any time we back up in the parking spot or when the car is in a bind. I tried to get him to buy a mustang but he a camaro guy hardcore so he just keep throwing money at it till it works I guess

18. vwdave

The LCA's are supposed to sit downwards a little so when you launch they are level.

19. BOOSTEDROK

Ok will do, the 9" is the best money I've ever spent. No worries now! Those crappy 10 bolt explode all the time.

20. BOOSTEDROK

Removed carpet ready for the cage!!
    image-325312406.jpg #ad

image-325312406.jpg #ad