1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

vgt actuator

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Holy_hell_look@my_turbo, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

Has anyone built a vgt actuator? i had an idea on using a raspberry pi as the main computer. using inputs from a throttle position sensor and/or a maf sensor to coontrol the veins. the only reason i ask is because all the actuators ive seen you have to manually control where the veins are through a knob. to be honest thats something i feel would get old fast

2. B E N

If your going to the work of automating it why not base it off of boost pressure? Simple Hobbs switch would do it. If you really want to do the programming work you could use a pressure sensor in the exhaust, translate that into a percent open, linear actuator to drive the gate, tie in a second pressure sensor to find low load via vacuum to keep the veins wide open at cruise.

luckythirteen13 likes this.
  3. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

that is a very valid point, the more i thought about i was thinking more of pulling info from a tps along rpm and gear the trans was in to get an idea of how much load is on the motor. its getting strapped to a 24v Cummins with 2 vgt turbos in compound form but your idea seems more plausible

4. Mnlx

What are you hoping to gain with the vgt's? Properly sized compounds are pretty responsive. Some use a simple wastgate actuator to control the vanes.

B E N likes this.
  5. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

i figured with dual vgts it will be in boost all the time for maximum launching, its going to be a race/street machine but nothing serious, i just havent seen someone do it yet and i figured i would try something

6. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

now what are the drive pressures like? because alot of what i see is based off of the dps turbonator, they pull pressure from the hot side

7. Mnlx

I guess I don't see the need, but interested in the outcome.. What vgt turbos are you going to use?

8. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

well both are john deere turbos one is a borg warner b2uv which is also the same high pressure turbo in the 6.4 powerstrokes and the other is an ihi rhg8v, its actually that monster one in my profile pic, the samller one there is off a subaru for size comparison i got em for free and decided to do something cool with em

9. B E N

The rhg8v is an interesting choice for the low pressure turbo, its 63mm compressor? The 6.4l turbos are a 64 over 58. What size engine is this on?

10. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

probably a p pump 24v 5.9 cummins and im not sure the size, i know it came off a john deere 870g

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  11. B E N

A friend and I built a 24v with an s472 over a s362 and it was incredibly responsive, manual 6 speed at 6000ft. You can go quite a bit bigger.

12. Holy_hell_look@my_turbo

at the moment its not about size and power its about how well they work together and plus ive got em so i wanna use em, i have two of the rhg8vs but i need to find a new set of fins for it

13. BlownShovel

Not to muddy things as I like the idea and the unlimited options you would ahve using tech(pi) and a psi sensor .

I did run a VGT on a turbo 2.3. I actually removed the electronics and then placed a mechanical WG actuator on it. I had a spreadsheet of boost and location of actuator. and placed a stop (not to exceed) Tedious but eventually found the sweet spot for quick boost and better flow with rpm